Updates - Microsoft Security Essentials

RonH
SilverLounger

Updates - Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by RonH »

Having now used this software for some days, I note that 'auto updating' to the latest definitions is somewhat 'casual' :sad:
I use Vista and usually 'Sleep' for shut down/wakeup ... occasionally 'Restart' to clean up or as a request from a software change.
So, in order to try to keep up to date with MSE definitions I have made my Home Page (IE8) ...

http://www.microsoft.com/security/porta ... s/ADL.aspx

... which shows the latest definition. If my Update is not this, I do an update prior to anything else.

Maybe this is useful for others who are not 'techos' like me :innocent: Or maybe its not worthwhile?
I would be interested in the views of others
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Updates - Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by HansV »

I have set MSE to run a scan every night while I sleep, and to check for updates before the scan. So on average, I get a definition update once a day; on some days, there's an extra update (also automatically downloaded and installed).
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Me too at 2 a.m. also checked for updates before scan :-) Works like a charm :-)
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

How does one 'set a time' for MSE to do its thing :scratch:
I'm not so keen on letting my pc be externally manipulated whilst I am snoring but I guess from what you do, I could set it to check for updates every time I wake it up? I use Vista.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There is a setting to update before a scheduled scan:
scan.png
(These are not my settings, it's a picture I got from Googling)
I don't think there is a setting to update at a scheduled time without a scan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Hans,
Thanks for your fast reply ... you must be always online :clapping:
Yes I know this but it means that you have to arrange a scan every day ... no big deal I suppose. I just wondered if one could use 'Event Planner' to set the 'when'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you don't like the way MSE definition updates are handled by default then check out MSE Update Utility [AddictiveTips Apps].

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for that tip off Joe. Just for now, I will leave 'as is'. I note that a new version of MSE will be fully released sometime after beta and will hang on to see what changes are made.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

HansV wrote:... every night while I sleep...
From the speed of your replies, I thought you NEVER slept.
Sundog

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:I have set MSE to run a scan every night while I sleep, and to check for updates before the scan.
Hey Jude wrote:Me too...
Tried setting a scan (and update) to run daily at 3:00 AM. Computer goes to sleep way before 3:00 AM and does not wake up at the designated time. A scan started manually goes well up until the sleep timer kicks in and puts the computer into hybrid sleep mode right in the middle of the scan. When I wake it up, the scan continues merrily on its way.

How do I reconcile my desire to conserve power (sleep state) and my need to perform unattended tasks?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I myself do go to sleep, but my computer doesn't - it's a desktop, not a laptop. The monitor and the hard disk are turned off after a while, but since the computer itself doesn't sleep, the hard disk is activated automatically when the scan starts.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

PaulB wrote:Tried setting a scan (and update) to run daily at 3:00 AM. Computer goes to sleep way before 3:00 AM and does not wake up at the designated time. A scan started manually goes well up until the sleep timer kicks in and puts the computer into hybrid sleep mode right in the middle of the scan. When I wake it up, the scan continues merrily on its way.

How do I reconcile my desire to conserve power (sleep state) and my need to perform unattended tasks?
If this is a scheduled task you need to change the task definition to allow it to wake up the PC.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

You are all, oh so brave ... waking up your pc when you are asleep.
With all those intruders lurking around :flee:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

RonH wrote:You are all, oh so brave ... waking up your pc when you are asleep.
With all those intruders lurking around :flee:
:hairout: :scratch:

Those intruders are more likely to get in when you are on line than they will when you are a sleep. They come from websites and emails that you have open and leave a trail of crumbs for the intruder to follow.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Ahhhhh ... :flee: :flee: :flee: :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.