MBR Backup

Gloria E
5StarLounger

MBR Backup

Post by Gloria E »

I was looking at this freeware program and need advice about using it. It states that the best way to use it is to type the information, but the picture provided looks like something that can't possibly be typed correctly.

http://www.misec.net/products/mbr-backup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: MBR Backup

Post by HansV »

You'd have to be very accurate, but it could be done (you'd type in the hexadecimal codes that you see in the center pane of the screenshot).
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:I was looking at this freeware program and need advice about using it. It states that the best way to use it is to type the information, but the picture provided looks like something that can't possibly be typed correctly.

http://www.misec.net/products/mbr-backup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gloria E
Don't do it, Gloria!!!!! :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If you REALLY want to mess up you computer, just have a go at it.

It is something that even the most expereniced use will NOT mess with.
Last edited by DaveA on 05 Sep 2010, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:You'd have to be very accurate, but it could be done (you'd type in the hexadecimal codes that you see in the center pane of the screenshot).
I'm afraid to try it, maybe I'll find another one that is do not so difficult to do. Have you ever done this and do you think it's a good idea?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I was looking at this freeware program and need advice about using it. It states that the best way to use it is to type the information, but the picture provided looks like something that can't possibly be typed correctly.

Gloria E
Don't do it, Gloria!!!!! :flee:
Good advice. I don't feel comfortable using that program so I've scratched it off my list.

Thanks Vike. :thankyou:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Gloria E wrote:I'm afraid to try it, maybe I'll find another one that is do not so difficult to do. Have you ever done this and do you think it's a good idea?
Gloria, I've been dorking around with personal computers for 35 years and I don't need the fingers of one hand to count the number of times I've EVER had to mess with the MBR !!!

I think you'd be well served to stay way away from software like that as others have recommended here.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria E wrote:I'm afraid to try it, maybe I'll find another one that is do not so difficult to do. Have you ever done this and do you think it's a good idea?
No, I agree with the others that you shouldn't try this, or any other MBR backup program. The chance that you'd ever need it is neglectable, and the risks of mistakes is much too high.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Gloria, I've been dorking around with personal computers for 35 years and I don't need the fingers of one hand to count the number of times I've EVER had to mess with the MBR !!!

I think you'd be well served to stay way away from software like that as others have recommended here.
Believe me, I'm taking the good advice you gentlemen have given me. That program is in the trash, I didn't install it I just looked at it and decided it might be a good idea. I've changed my mind, it's a horrible idea. :flee:

Thanks Al

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Gloria E wrote:...I didn't install it...
A wise decision, your majesty! :clapping:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

PaulB wrote:
OH!!!! I love that title, just might change my handle to Your Majesty. It's a higher rank than Duchess. :clapping:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Didn't you declare yourself 'queen of this computer' in this post?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
PaulB wrote:
OH!!!! I love that title, just might change my handle to Your Majesty. It's a higher rank than Duchess. :clapping:
Charlotte already has that title. Sorry Gloria! :bow: :whisper:
BOB

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

PaulB wrote:Didn't you declare yourself 'queen of this computer' in this post?
Duchess, Princess, Queen or Your Majesty, all the same, proves your royalty. :rofl:

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Nobility is a state-privileged status which is generally hereditary. The privileges associated with nobility may constitute substantial advantages over or relative to non-nobles, or may be largely honorary (e.g. precedence), but are maintained, or at least officially acknowledged, by law or government. Titles of nobility have often been associated with present or past monarchies, but nobility also existed in such republics as the Dutch Provinces, Genoa and Venice, and remains part of the legal social structure of, e.g. San Marino in Europe. Hereditary titles often distinguish nobles from non-nobles, although in many nations most of the nobility have been un-titled, and a hereditary title need not indicate nobility.
I have NOT seen any US approval of the use of these titles, and I do not think they should be used. Just like the "Family Crest" is passed on to the eldest son and ONLY he is rightful user a said crest. The misuse of these, is being abused and way to many people have claimed legal use of them. :sad: :groan:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DaveA wrote:
I have NOT seen any US approval of the use of these titles, and I do not think they should be used. Just like the "Family Crest" is passed on to the eldest son and ONLY he is rightful user a said crest. The misuse of these, is being abused and way to many people have claimed legal use of them. :sad: :groan:
Dave,
This still IS the US of A. We have no royal titles or royalty of any kind. So if a person wants to be called Prince or Duchess or Queen or His or Her majesty or whatever, that's their prerogative.
Signed:
King Bob I
:groovin: :king: :thumbup: :wine:
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And how about Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Earl Hines, Prince (Nelson), King Oliver, ...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hmmmm!

I thought there was a 'royal' family of Irish extraction in MA (Hyannis Port, Chappaquiddick, and Boston), viking.

At least from the way they were treated in the US press for 50 years, I thought they were royal. Maybe I just got it wrong. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Hmmmm!

I thought there was a 'royal' family of Irish extraction in MA (Hyannis Port, Chappaquiddick, and Boston), viking.

At least from the way they were treated in the US press for 50 years, I thought they were royal. Maybe I just got it wrong. :flee:
Not true! That was only in the minds of a few of their "subjects" who thought we were living in Camelot. That family had\has more than it's share of scandals and problems that really didn't sit right with a good majority of the locals. Excellent PR department though. :artist: :hailpraise: :money:
BOB

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

HansV wrote:And how about Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Earl Hines, Prince (Nelson), King Oliver, ...
and, of course, "The King" (aka Elvis)
Regards,
Keith