Microsoft Security Essentials

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by Hey Jude »

I just ran across a couple of interesting articles regarding MSE detecting trojans in Java, specifically Trojan: Java/Megademel.A http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 8f2d302488

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic340226.html

Has anyone run into this? I just checked my history and found that this one had been removed yesterday. MSE and Java are up-to-date. I just checked the Java console in Control Panel and unchecked keep temporary files on my computer. I also don't have any storage space allotted for them.

I was surprised when I Googled it to find others had just found it quarantined/removed and others who had similar issues.

Just curious. I ran MWB and all is clean, and MSE showed a green check and said my system was clean. I hadn't looked in history so was surprised. I thought it fitting to include it on this message thread.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks... my MSE history is blank.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were a false positive, but I can't be sure about that, of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Thanks... my MSE history is blank.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were a false positive, but I can't be sure about that, of course.
Thanks for checking Hans.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Searching further, the Trojan is mentioned by both Microsoft and Avira:
Encyclopedia entry: Trojan:Java/Mugademel.A - Learn more about malware - Microsoft Malware Protection Center
Java/Agent.AN - Full description
So it appears to be real after all!
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I thought I had posted your first link as that is the first site I found, but it appears I got distracted by the message threads of those who had encountered it and posted similar links 2x Thanks :-) I fired off a few e-mails to friends to see if they have encountered it, but no responses so far, but it's early.

This proves that MSE does its job and shows that the real time protection does in fact work. Had I not been looking around, I wouldn't have discovered this. It also proves that virus and spyware are not going to just fade into the background. Vigilance is essential and MSE is performing as expected.

Edit**** I just checked your Avira link and it shows damage potential as Low to medium
Java-Avira.png
whereas MSE showed SEVERE threat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Here's an update from Sun Java JRE http://www.java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.xml
Sun Java applet issues.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Maybe I am missing something but does MSE automatically update itself (when pc is on, of course) on a daily basis or with greater frequency :scratch: .
What happens if I have Microsoft Updates set to 'notify me before downloading/installing' which is the way I presently have it set as per 'Woody' advice.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Ron,
I'm not using MSE at the moment, but I'm sure that MSE will get its updates, even if Automatic Updates (AU) is inactivated, but in your case it's set to notify. In both cases you will still have the "Automatic Updates service" running in the background (a service, not the AU component).

That is, MSE doesn't rely on your settings for the AU for the OS, as long as the service is running, and since the service is by default set to auto, everything should work, no matter what setting you are using for AU.

I think it will update signatures, automatically, only if they are 24 hours old or older.

BTW, if I may ask a question in the thread; what do the users of MSE think about Microsoft SpyNet?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I found this; "Microsoft SpyNet is the network of Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials users that help determine which programs are classified as spyware..."

In the following response DSS is Dynamic Signature Service. I haven't joined SpyNet because even though I have read about it, I haven't actually joined as per this article http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -community
Spynet.png

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Argus wrote:Ron,
I'm not using MSE at the moment, but I'm sure that MSE will get its updates ...
That's put my mind at rest, thanks. I'm used to Kaspersky regularly checking for updates.
Oh, and even though I completely disabled KAV 2011, it rebooted itself and started to function again :sad:
But I have now FIXED it ... deleted off my pc :clapping: How's that for bravery!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Beware of fake new Microsoft Security Essentials rogue software

Source: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/beware-of ... more-15696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;#ixzz0yOhLgcRO
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

See attached screenshot from MSE, Update tab.

Hope this answers the question.
mse updates.jpg
Carol W.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Tis me again ... the learner :grin:
Since downloading MSE I have noticed that I don't seem to be getting the little icon in the desktop toolbar (bottom right) to inform me that new updates are available ... I have my Update set to advise and not auto update. I always used to get eg Defender updates advised to me this way.
Is this 'new way' Microsoft's method of getting you to go for auto updates so that you do not forget to install?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

MSE updates automatically even if you have Windows Update set to notify you of updates. You can see this if you look at the update history in Windows Update.
So you won't get the update icon for definition updates of MSE. You should still get it for other updates when available.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:MSE updates automatically even if you have Windows Update set to notify you of updates. You can see this if you look at the update history in Windows Update.
So you won't get the update icon for definition updates of MSE. You should still get it for other updates when available.
Thanks for this tip off Hans. I had a look at the Event reports and it does confirm.
Any idea what a Warning yellow triangle means in the Taskbar Notification area (bottom right of screen). I cant click on it to make it 'do anything' and the only way I got rid of it was to reboot the pc ... but it must be possible to find out what its 'advising' :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If it ever appears again, try right-clicking the icon.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:If it ever appears again, try right-clicking the icon.
Tried rt and lt clicking, no success. Also a 'drop kick' which also did zilch :flee:
I just wondered if it was something to do with MSE notifications but MSE does not report any 'invasions etc. Maybe it can be tracked in Event but I don't know the exact time and lots of activities get recorded as you will know. Not to worry, its obviously not a serious issue ... :thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And a double-click?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yesser ... single, double and triple wammy!
Not to worry ... if I ever find out 'what' I will post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could open the Action Center (from the notification area, from Control Panel, or by clicking Start and typing Action in the search box).
Anything there?

You can also try the Reliability Monitor (it's part of the Action Center, but the easiest way to start it is to click Start and type Reliability in the search box; click the option View reliability history). See Your Windows 7 Reliability Monitor.
Best wishes,
Hans