Use Two Firewall Programs

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Use Two Firewall Programs

Post by Gloria E »

I am using Webroot Internet Security Essentials and turned on Windows Firewall With Advanced Security on Local Computer snap-in.

My question is Should I allow both to be running at the same time? If not, I'll turn Windows Firewall off and stop it from running in Services.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Use Two Firewall Programs

Post by HansV »

You should use only one software firewall, so I'd turn off the Windows Firewall.

Please see JoeP's reply below.
Last edited by HansV on 14 Aug 2010, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new info
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Any GOOD third party firewall will turn OFF the Windows firewall when the third party firewall started up.

One wants the Windows firewall to be running during startup, until the third party firewall is started. This will provide protection until said time.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

As long as any third party firewall is comptabile with Windows 7 you should NOT turn off the Windows firewall. See the following from What's New in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security:

"Coexistence with third-party firewalls
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security consists of a set of services that provide much more than the traditional firewall. IPsec connection security rules, network service hardening, boot time filters, firewall filters, and stealth filters are all services provided by Windows Firewall with Advanced Security in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Because multiple firewall programs can be problematic due to conflicts, if you install a third-party firewall program, you need to turn off the Windows Firewall. In previous versions of Windows, turning off the firewall meant also disabling all of the related services. If the third-party program does not provide all of the same functionality, then you might be unintentionally exposing your computer to threats for which you no longer have protection. In Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security enables more specific disabling of its features through published application program interface (API) calls. When a third-party firewall program is installed, the installer can disable only those portions of Windows Firewall with Advanced Security that conflict with the services that are provided by the third-party program. Other Windows Firewall with Advanced Security services are left enabled, and continue to help protect your computer."

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, since Webroot Internet Security Essentials is compatible with Windows 7, you should heed JoeP's recommendation.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I have a problem understanding just what I'm supposed to do about the Windows Firewall. I visited Joe's link and I'm still confused, it seems one minute I'm advised to turn Windows Firewall off and the next I'm told that "other Windows Firewall with Advance Security services are left enable, and continue to help protect your compute."

Please just say in answer to my question: Turn Windows Firewall off or Leave the Windows Firewall in services enabled.

Sorry if I appear to be dense but I need a plain english - turn off or leave. Joe advises that I turn Windows Firewall off but the article left me confused.

So far there's been no problem with them both being used. I'll check and see if Webroot has turned Windows Firewall off (that could be the reason I'm not having conflicts).

Thanks Hans, Dave and Joe for your valued assistance.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Gloria,

Leave the Windows Firewall enabled.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Hi Gloria,

Very good. Now that's what I call an answer in plain English. :clapping:

Thanks my friend. :thankyou:

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Hi Gloria,

Hans, after posting my last reply, I visited Windows Firewall and found Windows Firewall was turned off under both Home or Work and Public Network. Webroot must have changed my settings, should I turn both on again?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Nah, leave it as it is, if Webroot turned it off, it's OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Nah, leave it as it is, if Webroot turned it off, it's OK.
OK, I just checked Services and Windows Firewall was on automatic and running. I disabled it and stopped it from running. Is that OK?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria,

You should leave these things alone - Windows 7 and Webroot can manage it very well between the two of them. There is no reason for you to interfere with it, there's nothing to be gained by meddling with the system.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Gloria,

You should leave these things alone - Windows 7 and Webroot can manage it very well between the two of them. There is no reason for you to interfere with it, there's nothing to be gained by meddling with the system.
I would hardly call it 'Meddling' to ask questions of this nature. I had Windows Firewall running and installed Webroot Internet Security Essentials. That meant I had two firewalls and I had to know if that should be allowed. How could that be considered 'meddling.?

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As the article quoted by JoeP mentioned, third-party firewalls that are compatible with Windows 7, such as the one in Webroot Internet Security Essentials, take care of the details themselves - they can turn off Windows Firewall altogether or leave parts of it running. There is no need for end users to go into Services and turn Windows Firewall on or off.
Best wishes,
Hans