Password protecting files

silverback
5StarLounger

Password protecting files

Post by silverback »

I have just discovered, on my brand new Windows 10 machine, that Microsoft has removed the ability to password protect a file. Instead, I am instructed to encrypt it. However, when I attempt to encrypt the file, the option is greyed out, which I further discover is because I have Windows 10 Home edition, and encryption is not supported in this product.

Is there some third party software (recommended by Loungers, preferably) which I can use, please?

Thanks
Silverback

Hold on. I've just found a help page which says that I can encrypt a document with a password. File | Info | Protect document | Encrypt with Password. That seems to be what I want.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Password protecting files

Post by HansV »

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro might be your best option.

Third-party utilities will change the extension of the files, which makes it more difficult to manage them.
For example:
7-Zip, a free file compression utility that supports encrypting the compressed file with a password.
AxCrypt - the free version has some limitations compared to the commercial (subscription) version.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

silverback wrote:Hold on. I've just found a help page which says that I can encrypt a document with a password. File | Info | Protect document | Encrypt with Password. That seems to be what I want.
That is a good option for Office files (Word documents, Excel workbooks, PowerPoint presentations, Access databases), but it's not available for other file types.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The options available to you depend on exactly why you are trying to encrypt the file.
  • If you need to share the file securely across an insecure link, like email, then password protecting an office document or ZIP file is sensible.
  • If you want to protect confidential data on your PC from being accessed by other people with physical access then creating an encrypted partition with a tool like Veracrypt might be appropriate
Tell us what you want to achieve and we may be able to come up with other potential ideas for you.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I was going to post that we perhaps would need some more info what you would like to achieve (how it's going to be used etc.); that's the most important question.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Duh! Of course, I should have stated what it was I wanted to achieve. :sorry: As it is, the solution I found after my OP (File | Info | Protect document | Encrypt with Password) will do me nicely, as it's an Office Word file I want to protect.
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
Silverback.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Not meaning to hijack silverback’s thread, but his question triggered me to ask about encrypting files before putting them in the cloud (Dropbox or any other network storage location.

If one wanted to do that, how should he go about it? The reason for encryption would simply for privacy and data protection Posted by the guy who has shot himself in the foot over and over again trying to do much simpler things. :hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I would compress the files with a password and upload the compressed files to the cloud. You can use a utility such as 7-Zip for this.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016