Secure web browser

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Secure web browser

Post by Dave Davison »

Just tried to play an on line video but it refused to play so asked on Abel Danger forum why and was informed that the following secure browser was required, any comments about this download please? https://www.epicbrowser.com/ :scratch: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Secure web browser

Post by HansV »

It is a browser that is always in "incognito mode". Not sure why you would need that. But the link is OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the assurance Hans, the only reason I even considered using it was because was informed the video in question would not play without it, why I don't know. Thanks.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...the video in question would not play without it, why I don't know...
My guess is that who ever compiled the video is paranoid about privacy and so has set it up so that only people who are equally paranoid about privacy can watch it.

Personally, I wouldn't go near something like this because my paranoia makes me think if I did it would be like sending a message to a Gov't Security Agency saying, "Hey, look at me, I might a person of interest to you."

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I appreciate your caution regarding privacy especially in light of the minions of devious trolls out there whose only ambition is to deceive and exploit anyone and everyone who drops their guard. The video in question features one of the founders of the Abel Danger forum who -after more than thirty years as a fighter pilot in the navy then many years as a 747 captain for Delta- seems totally credible to me. Nevertheless I am not complacent that's why I ran it past the likes of Hans & your good self whose counsel I highly rate.Cheers Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The three most important things you can do to remain secure are:

Only install programs if you absolutely need them, never just because they look interesting or might be useful
Always install patches as soon as you can after they are released, for operating systems and applications
Never click on links unless you really have to, be vigilant because phishing is getting better all the time.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the advice something i have respected for over 16 years of surfing so much so I have thus far remained big free. Cheers Dave.

madman
NewLounger

Post by madman »

I agree with StuartR on points 1 and 3 As for point 2 windows updating has become a nightmare The recommended setting is now check for updates but let me decide to download and install them. I suggest you visit askwoody.com for the latest info on the debacle that windows updating has become if you wish to keep your computer running properly

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Experience with Windows updates vary wildly. I know that some users have experienced serious problems, but I have been updating Windows as soon as patches/updates are released for more than 15 years now with only minor glitches...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:...I have been updating Windows as soon as patches/updates are released for more than 15 years now with only minor glitches...
Me too. I know many people who have suffered serious disruption due to unpatched software being vulnerable. I have only come across a very small number of people who had problems due to installing windows patches, and these were all fairly easy to recover.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In Windows 7 I had the option set to notify me and let me decide whether or not to install them. I did this because I've had multiple problems with Skype updates. I decided long ago never to use Skype thus I never install updates to Skype.

I'm new to Windows 10 - being forced to use it because my desktop Win7 system is still undergoing repair. I could not find an option to be notified of updates for Windows 10. Does that option exist in this version? If so, where do I find it? It is my understanding (or misunderstanding) that Windows 10 requires one to accept and install all updates. Is that not true?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That is my understanding too Bob
StuartR

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

This Settings > Update & Security page is available only if (a) you have Windows 10 Pro, not Windows 10 Home, and (b) you're logged in as the Administrator:
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart and Jay!

I do not run Windows 10 Pro but the Home Edition; so I guess the updates are installed automatically. I can't even find a 'check for updates' option.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Click the Start button or press the Windows key, then click the Settings icon: the gear wheel above the Power icon.
Click Update & Security. then click Check for Updates.

Alternatively, click the Start button or press the Windows key and start typing Check for Updates; it will appear in the search results (or Cortana will search it for you).
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

Yet another mystery of Windows 10 exposed to the light!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)