(Solved) Where to Look? 65 New GB on ave. 108 GB Full Image

CraigS26
2StarLounger

(Solved) Where to Look? 65 New GB on ave. 108 GB Full Image

Post by CraigS26 »

Hoping Imaging + Win Expertise is near I owe it to the Macrium guys to attempt a solution here (always my best site) for nebulous issues like these.
Full images from Day 1 were always 105-110 GB timed at roughly 2:00 to 2:20 (USB 2.0) to (2) alternated WD MyPassport Ext Drives.
Diskeeper 15 usually shows 99% Potential Defrag Prevented (by Intelli-Write feature); actual Defrag 1%, so Defrag junk shouldn't be an issue.
Sys32 and Temp files usually 1+ GB when chk'd.

Nov 8 Full Drv J was 110 GB at 2:41;(higher than past)
Nov 9 Full Drv E was 110 GB at 2:23
Nov 21 Full Drv E was 176 GB at 3:37 (the next Full)
Nov 23 Full Drv J was 177 GB at 4:22 (the next Full)
The 65+ GB add-on Continues today.
Looking for WHERE in Win 7 the new 65+ GB came from. 60% Full Img size Increase is Non-intuitive (not even Win Updates makes sense.)

Any knowledge or SWAG attempts are appreciated.
Last edited by CraigS26 on 30 Dec 2017, 21:46, edited 2 times in total.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Where to Look? 65 New GB on ave. 108 GB Full Image

Post by Argus »

I have no comments on time for backups (or defragmentation which I hardly see as an issue nowadays) (since I do not use Macrium Reflect anymore), but I had a case during the last year with a hard drive filling up with large .cab files etc. I had to remove almost 45 GB (on a 100 GB drive ...); that said, it took some time to fill up. It was the now quite well-known problem with CBS logs (Component-Based Servicing) being too large to compress. (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS & temp folders).

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... drive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://felixyon.blogspot.se/2013/03/my ... older.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... nservergen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But since you say that you have checked your temp folders, I have to assume it's something else. Since you have backups of different sizes it should be fairly easy to mount and explore them to compare.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Argus, Thank you for the links.
My entire Logs (CAB, etc) Folder is only 21 MB (not GB) , although I read in the links of multi-GB's showing up for others. (CAB) reads as the best culprit BUT my data doesn't show it.
Sys32 is 1.6 GB currently and Temp is 10 kb.

I'll keep Googling and ultimately go to the Macrium Forum if no luck.

All the Best to you!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Did you change the System Protection settings?
Did you install any Windows 7 cumulative updates?
When was the last time you ran Disk Cleanup (Clean up System Files)?
Joe

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

See Next Post
Last edited by CraigS26 on 30 Dec 2017, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

JoeP wrote:Did you change the System Protection settings?] No. Currently 2 System Restore Pts show via CCleaner Tools; SR Deletes itself after awhile and is hard to keep present. Even System Volume is Empty and allegedly that's where Win 7 Restore Pts are IF I wanted to look.

Did you install any Windows 7 cumulative updates? Yes, Monthly, As do most must, although I follow the AskWoody.com blog and we wait up to 30d to let problems sort out. Have done it for years and can't understand WHY 65+ GB are added JUST in mid-Nov of this year.

When was the last time you ran Disk Cleanup (Clean up System Files)? Have run Win 7 Disk Cleanup (rarely) a few months ago but rely on Diskeeper 15 and a "cautiously-setup CCleaner. We're talking a 60% Image increase somewhere within 12 days Vs consistent increases I could/should have noticed in the Img Logs and they weren't there.

Thanks for the Reply.
Last edited by CraigS26 on 30 Dec 2017, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

CraigS26 wrote:I'll keep Googling and ultimately go to the Macrium Forum if no luck.
I would examine what I have to get some clues, then look for a solution if I didn't know what to do.
So, I agree with Joe.

Obviously that would include all kind of changes being made during the period, including updates to the backup software that may have, for example, changed settings for compression, or other settings.

You have before and after, compare!
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Argus wrote:
CraigS26 wrote:I'll keep Googling and ultimately go to the Macrium Forum if no luck.
I would examine what I have to get some clues, then look for a solution if I didn't know what to do.
So, I agree with Joe.

Obviously that would include all kind of changes being made during the period, including updates to the backup software that may have, for example, changed settings for compression, or other settings.

You have before and after, compare!
Thanks, Argus. My expertise tank is much smaller than yours, so I posted in the Macrium v7 Forum
Will update IF an answer is found.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Most kind, but no, I think you have all the knowledge you need. Start digging. :grin:
Yes, I assume they have both knowledge about recent changes in Macrium Reflect, if any, as well as long-time experience using it.

But I would still mount an old image, with a size of around 110 GB (if still around), then comparing partition size with current situation (175+ GB). Then compare folders, everything.

Browsing Macrium Reflect images and backups in Windows Explorer
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/displ ... s+Explorer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not bored. :xgrin:

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Re: (Solved) Where to Look? 65 New GB on ave. 108 GB Full Im

Post by CraigS26 »

A Macrium "expert" gave me the Free App link below for TreeSize, which breaks down Folder - File volume sizes in an Explorer format.
You just look for large GB sized Folders-Files & I found Apple had talked my wife thru some iPhone Bkups re: a new iPhone....\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync
(3) Bkup Folders were found that total about 65 GB, so Issue Resolved.

Thanks for the Replies. I can barely understand the questions in most of these forums Vs. Helping others with knowledge, but I hope to repay somehow someday.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

TreeSize Free is a very useful tool. A similar free tool is WizTree. It is very fast.
Best wishes,
Hans

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

HansV wrote:TreeSize Free is a very useful tool. A similar free tool is WizTree. It is very fast.
Downloaded and Donated. Doesn't 2.37 sec to fully scan seem like an eternity sometimes?
You're right about Fast!! TreeSize is acceptably close.
Thanks for the Link!