Spamcop

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Spamcop

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Spamcop is one of the Tools, Options, "Spam Tools" in Mailwasher Pro 6.5.3.
"SpamCop determines the origin of unwanted email and reports it to the relevant Internet service providers. By reporting spam, you have a positive impact on the problem. Reporting unsolicited email also helps feed spam filtering systems, including, but not limited to, SpamCop's own service."

It seems like a good idea - I'd be semi-automatically contributing my votes to the email community at large, little effort on my part, huge gains for the community.
I am but a pebble in the ocean ...

Anyone here using it? Comments?
Not using it? Reasons?

Thanks.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Spamcop

Post by Bigaldoc »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Spamcop is one of the Tools, Options, "Spam Tools" in Mailwasher Pro 6.5.3.

Anyone here using it? Comments?
Not using it? Reasons?
I must admit to a severe case of procrastination, laziness and uncertainty (i.e. your pebble in the ocean) and have never tried it.

Years ago I used to "bounce" spam until it was pointed out in the old, old Woody's Lounge that it was NOT a good thing to do. Perhaps I should be spurred to a test run by your mentioning of the topic. At the same time, I'm awaiting word on the NEW MailWasher 2010. Mebbe that would be a good time to jump on this, huh?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:... NEW MailWasher 2010. Mebbe that would be a good time to jump on this, huh?
I'd be inclined to test a new service (SpamCop) while I was still using a tried-and-tested stable platform. In my case Thunderbird 1.5.0.4.

All it will take for me to try it is a near-perfect vacumn of responses here and, sheep-like, I shall enter the pen ... :woolylamb:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm with YOU then! I've signed up and just processed the first couple of spam messages from MailWasher. It remains to be seen how "silent" all this will be but I'm hoping it turns out to be helpful somewhere along the line. We do have other Eileen's members who use MW so mebbe more will see your post soon.

Coincidentally, for the past few days I've started getting spam (3 emails so far) from what's being made to look like an Amazon.Com address. Since I do a fair amount of business with them, this bothers me greatly.

My first clue in a MW preview is that the "To" address isn't my email name but the domain is correct. If I go down into the detail of the message it DOES have my correct address so I don't know how they do that. The second clue is that it's talking about a $3.99 Amazon order that I do NOT have in my real Amazon account, AND an "order number" that is nothing at all like the apparent format of a real Amazon order.

Image    (Baaa sez Big Al :innocent: )

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Chris. I know I'm in essence burning the candle at both ends. I followed your (suggested) lead and setup the Spam Cop reporting in MW 6.x this morning.

When I got home, I downloaded, purchased and installed the MW Pro 2010 new version. It's not bad at all and so far I don't see any bugs in just a few hours of tinkering with it. As you can see in MailWasher Pro 2010 I'm in the process of re-inventing my custom filters.

I also made a post at the MW Forum about Spam Cop and received this reply:
    • SpamCop reporting hasn't been included in the new MailWasher yet but it will be coming at some stage.

They've always been very responsive at that forum.