Just say no

StuartR
Administrator

Just say no

Post by StuartR »

Another day, another attack vector. If you see this dialog box in any Microsoft Office app, then just say NO.

Office DDE attack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Re: Just say no

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Stuart. It's good that there is a second warning specifying what would be executed:
outlook-dialog-box-222.png
One has to click Yes in BOTH message boxes to activate the malicious content.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Sadly, they still manage to catch lots of naive people. Too many PC users just click Yes on dialog boxes without reading them.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:sigh: I came across a linked file (not malicious) recently. When I enquired of the user, who is reasonably Excel savy, I was stunned to discover that, "It's always been like that, you just click to make it go away." They seemed equally stunned by my reaction to the warning dialog. They almost seemed reluctant to let me find out what was causing it, "But it's always been like that." "Yes but it's a warning that something isn't right." "Really? It's always been like that and it works OK."

Undeterred I found and removed the link and to their surprise the wheels didn't fall off :grin:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Exactly. People just ignore these messages. Madness...
StuartR

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

StuartR wrote:Exactly. People just ignore these messages. Madness...
I seem to spend a lot of troubleshooting time trying to find out exactly WHAT message they clicked on before the app crashed/wrote the wrong data into a record/got infected by something horrible.

I don't really blame the users, I blame the operating system developers and their drive to make things so easy "you don't need to know anything". They are handing people tools that are to their data what a chainsaw is to their foot, then they are surprised when they corrupt the data/slice a couple of toes off. :rantoff:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Stuart.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thank you so much sir. Me too i am not read the message of warning some times Hereafter i am not going to click yes or no without reading. Thanks sir. Useful information.