ShadowProtect app continues running even when it is closed

jmt356
SilverLounger

ShadowProtect app continues running even when it is closed

Post by jmt356 »

I am having issues running ShadowProtect. After my backup is complete and I close down ShadowProtect, ShadowProtect Backup Agent (32 bit) remains active, and takes up as much as 60% of my laptops processing power. Moreover, I am never able to eject my external drive after I create a backup. ShadowProtect User Interface (32 bit) also remains active, even after I shut down ShadowProtect.

The only way to stop this is to force the shutdown of ShadowProtect Backup Agent (32 bit) and ShadowProtect User Interface (32 bit) through the Task Manager. However, I am concerned that by doing this, I might be terminating some important process. Why aren’t these applications shutting down automatically after I close down ShadowProtect?

I tried to contact ShadowProtect Support, but my one-year support package expired. I went to https://www.storagecraft.com/support-options" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to renew it, but after I click on Renew Support Now and enter my serial number, a $49.98 charge comes up. Is that what they are now charging for support? That’s unconscionable. It used to be $19.99 per year.
Regards,

JMT

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: ShadowProtect app continues running even when it is clos

Post by Rebel »

Have you checked the SP support forums to see if anyone else has experienced your symptoms? If you can't find any possible solutions relating to your problem, why not post your question there? It certainly can't hurt.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Sorry for coming in late on this issue (tied up with family issues).

Anyway, regarding the support forum... StorageCraft are in the process of revamping all the forums. It is a bit cumbersome at the moment. They have built new interfaces and have yet to import all the legacy topics into the new environment. At first blush, the new forum looks like it has potential to be informative and helpful.

Regarding support costs. I had a situation last year where my renewal date was shown as 02/07/2016. I read that as July 2, 2016. I tried to get some support in June and was refused because the support had expired February 7, 2016. After contacting Technical Support we worked around the issue and I was able to renew my support without excess costs. I have the Home Bundle (3 PCs) and got the 2 year Maintenance Plan for Cdn$129. Which works out to be about $20 per PC per year. Perhaps, if it is not too late you could always ask about getting the low rate by reinstating the Maintenance Plan. You could try the Sales or Technical Support group.

Regarding the CPU issue. A check of my environment using SPX(64bit) in Windows 10 Pro shows that all CPU activity is cut off the moment the backups are complete. I checked this action for both scheduled and manual backups to ensure that the issue did not occur in either of the two approaches.

Using your link to Support I noticed that there are different levels of support. One pertaining to "perpetual licenses". Not sure what that involves. At least I have until February 7, 2018 to find out if there is any impact on my renewal. I could not find any reference to the Home Bundle (3PCs).
Regards,
Bob

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have found both the SP legacy forum and the new SP Support Community to be totally useless. I have received no replies to any of my threads, though they have been posted for several weeks.

I also find SP general paid support to be generally useless. Last year, I paid $19.99 for support and went through every tier of support to attempt to make my restored system bootable, but no one at SP could properly troubleshoot the issue. This year, I renewed for $49.98 and I have not even received a response from them, though it has been 13 days since I created my ticket. They are supposed to reply within 2 days. I don’t know how a company with such expensive and terrible customer support manages to survive.

I tried to get the lower $19.99 rate at no avail.
Regards,

JMT