blocking softonics popup

Claude
cheese lizard

blocking softonics popup

Post by Claude »

I have obtained a new Windows 10 Home laptop and it has this annoying feature:
softonic.jpg
These popups appear on a daily basis, at random times, always different ones, the only thing in common is the en.softronics.com signature.

I can't find anything specific in running tasks, malware scanners etc don't find anything either.

Has anyone else encountered this, and, if yes, managed to eliminate it ?

I do think it is coming from windows as I have a popup blocker installed on the browser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Re: blocking softonics popup

Post by HansV »

Click the Start button or press the Windows key.
Type control panel and press Enter.
Click Programs and Features or Programs > Programs and Features, depending on the layout of Control Panel on your laptop.
Do you see anything whose name starts with Softonic? If so, remove it.

Also run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Ironically, searching for popup blockers results in multiple offerings from Softonic - is it possible you downloaded something from them?

Otherwise: Beware Softonic — The Ubiquitous Software Parasite – Cloudeight InfoAve and/or Remove Softonic (Removal Guide) - Aug 2017 update may help.
Leif

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Tried that Hans, thanks. No result from malwarebytes scan, nothing anywhere to be found pointing to Softonic.

No results from a registry scan for Softonic either. :sad:
Cheers, Claude.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Yes Leif, a internet search didn't instill confidence, I'll try the removal guide thanks. Will keep you posted.
Cheers, Claude.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Can't find anything, I assume that the spam is served from softonics.com so I'll block that site and its IP and see if that makes a difference.
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I assume you have run tools like ccleaner and Malwarebytes to see if they find anything
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Sure did, Stuart, the laptop is only 3 days old. I've also checked every single active process as well as processes in the process list. I may need to log all internet traffic and search through the log. :shrug:
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

What a pain. Have you considered a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows?
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

As mentioned by Leif, and as you've seen, there are several different pages with removal guides for similar, even if not exactly the same; it seems you have "only" seen popups, no changes in browsers or search engine. As we know, it sometimes happens that one has to use some different anti-malware software. A search for "PUA Softonic" or "PUP Softonic" may also give some advice. (Potentially unwanted application, potentially unwanted program.)

Given that the laptop is so new it should be quite easy to track installed software, tweaks in settings etc, even if most of what we use is usually installed during the first few days. An alternative to using different anti-malware, and as often is the case do a lot of reading, could be a factory reset, reinstall, as Stuart mentioned.

(By the way, I didn't think people use dedicated popup blockers in browsers; I haven't seen any (unwanted popups) in ages.)
(My first thought, for a split second, was Windows 10 ads, since they have opened up for that.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I found that by using "Search Everything" I can find some of these hidden files.
Try using it, http://www.voidtools.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would start with searching for softonic, as you type the files will start appearing and get filtered as you continue to type
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Where did you buy this laptop and was Win10 already installed or did you install it yourself and if so, where did you get your copy of Win10? I'd be duly concerned because Cortana is irritating all by themselves and it looks like clickbait to me.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you haven't already check Task Scheduler. Rather than use an autorun location more software is creating a scheduled task now.
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

That's a good point, Joe - it is interesting just what Stuff gets made into a scheduled task: GoogleUpdater, Adobe Flash update, Dropbox update, to name just a few.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I've found the cause, however, I won't report on what I found until I'm sure, so, most likely tomorrow.

I was in the process of posting a message here saying I solved it, and a few minutes before hitting Submit, up it popped again. I've been left alone now for nearly 12 hours, if this is continuing until tomorrow, I'll post the process involved. :crossfingers:
Cheers, Claude.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Good Luck!
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: blocking softonics popup (solved)

Post by Claude »

I found the cause of what I thought were popups (and therefore looked for it in the wrong area all the time).

They were Notifications, in fact, they were Google Chrome notifications.

Softonics notifications were installed, as far as I know, after I downloaded Chrome, as for how that got there, I'm at a loss. I have visited a few websites before having all my security setups completed though, who knows what happened during those visits.

I have never visited softonics.com and never will either.

This is probably only happening in Google Chrome (although I could be wrong), so here is how to find the source of it, and other possible notifications from other origins.

Open a new tab (Ctrl-T)

in the address bar enter chrome://settings/content/notifications and hit enter.

You'll see either Ask before sending (recommended), or, Blocked if you block all notifications.

underneath, you have a list of blocked and allowed sites.

I simply clicked the 3 vertical dots to the right of the en.softonics.com line and selected Remove.

Problem solved.
Cheers, Claude.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Good to know - thanks Claude!
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That's different. It prompted me to check on my laptop. No nasty notifications there, but it's certainly another place to check in future.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: blocking softonics popup (solved)

Post by Argus »

Good to hear, Claude. Yes, it looks like Notifications à la mode Windows 10, now that you mention it. I don't use Chrome; guess you downloaded it from Google, and not had it installed together with some other software.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.