Is this kosher please?

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Is this kosher please?

Post by Dave Davison »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Re: Is this kosher please?

Post by TonyE »

The small print at the bottom of the review page states "Web Life Advice is a publishing arm for Scanguard Antivirus". The whole article is just an advert for their product made to look like an independent review. That alone is enough to make me very suspicious of the product and their marketing strategies. I would not install it.
Tony

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......thanks for the advice Tony, the fact that it is available for free just made me extra vigilant hense the enquiry.
Regards Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:.......thanks for the advice Tony, the fact that it is available for free just made me extra vigilant hense the enquiry.
Regards Dave.
It IS free, Dave but the free version is "crippleware." It will only scan your system but it will not repair, remove or do anything but tell you to buy the Pro version.
Try Advanced Uninstaller. It will do all of the things that SCAN GUARD will do and it is Freeware. I've used it for a long time and no obvious problems.
http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks Bob......what benefits does "Advanced Uninstaller" give above that of e.g. "Revo Unistaller"? Before I give it a go a go? Regards Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Many thanks Bob......what benefits does "Advanced Uninstaller" give above that of e.g. "Revo Unistaller"? Before I give it a go a go? Regards Dave.
Well it does a LOT more than just uninstalling programs. Sort of like Scan Guard claims but it is not just a show me thing, it allows you to do any of the functions at your pleasure.

Advanced Uninstaller
BOB

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:
Dave Davison wrote:Many thanks Bob......what benefits does "Advanced Uninstaller" give above that of e.g. "Revo Unistaller"?
Well it does a LOT more than just uninstalling programs. Sort of like Scan Guard claims...
I have no experience of Advanced Uninstaller but if Dave has already got Revo and I'm failry sure he's also got Malwarebytes and Ccleaner does he really need yet another package to keep his PC spick and span?

Maybe my (home) PC use is lighter than other's but I've never needed anything other than a good AV plus Ccleaner, topped up with Malwarebytes every now and then to keep my PC 'grime free' on a routine basis. If I need to uninstall something the 'advanced' scan in Revo Free has always been enough to remove stuff. All of these are free but Advanced Uninstaller seems to cost money, or did I miss the free version when I followed the link given by Viking?

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Right Ken..I do have Malwarebytes & CCleaner so maybe I'll leave well alone in light of the cleche, "If it aint broke don't mend it." Regards Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:
viking33 wrote:
Dave Davison wrote:Many thanks Bob......what benefits does "Advanced Uninstaller" give above that of e.g. "Revo Unistaller"?
Well it does a LOT more than just uninstalling programs. Sort of like Scan Guard claims...
I have no experience of Advanced Uninstaller but if Dave has already got Revo and I'm failry sure he's also got Malwarebytes and Ccleaner does he really need yet another package to keep his PC spick and span?

Maybe my (home) PC use is lighter than other's but I've never needed anything other than a good AV plus Ccleaner, topped up with Malwarebytes every now and then to keep my PC 'grime free' on a routine basis. If I need to uninstall something the 'advanced' scan in Revo Free has always been enough to remove stuff. All of these are free but Advanced Uninstaller seems to cost money, or did I miss the free version when I followed the link given by Viking?

Ken
AU is free also. You missed the download link right under the splash screen of the laptop. That's for the free version.
AU does more than look fro viruses, malware and such. If you read some of it's features down on the lower end of the first page, you'll see.
Not everyone has the desire to cleanup this stuff and I think it just accumulates over time, then suddenly you see your free space is getting short. But different strokes for different folks! :grin:
BOB

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:AU is free also. You missed the download link right under the splash screen of the laptop. That's for the free version...
I had a feeling I'd missed something! Thanks for the correction.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:..."If it aint broke don't mend it."...
True but don't forget that other saying, "Keep it simple" and it sounds like Advanced Uninstaller (one package) can do what three (Revo+Malwarebyte+Ccleaner) can do.

If it ain't broke vs Keep it Simple, as Viking points out, different strokes for different folks :laugh:

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.........thanks Ken for outlining the functions of AU, might give it a go!!!! Regards Dave.