Open/Unsecure Guest Networks

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Open/Unsecure Guest Networks

Post by PaulB »

I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS router that has two password protected SSIDs both with WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal security. In terms of security, I believe this is about as good as it gets in the consumer market.

For guest access, I can also optionally turn on up to two more SSIDs that are also password protected. However, these passwords are to allow access only; they do not appear to provide any communications security. If I connect my iPad to one of these guest accounts I get a message indicating I am connected to an unsecured/open network that provides no security and exposes all network traffic.

Are guest accounts normally not provided any security (and why), or is this something unique to Linksys?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Open/Unsecure Guest Networks

Post by StuartR »

Guest accounts are often unsecured, but I prefer to use security to encrypt the data between the device and the router.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Paul,

As you put it, your observation seems to be true for Linksys and one or two other router makes.
I personally have a TP-Link router and the guest mode definitely has an encrypted security mode that is assigned to it.

Have a look at these two articles that confirm the point you raise and provide more detail around the issue...

- Warning: “Guest Mode” on Many Wi-Fi Routers Isn’t Secure
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi makes a stupid Guest network
How-To Geek wrote: Guest Mode isn’t always bad — D-Link, Netgear, and ASUS router seem to do it right. But, if you have the type of Guest Mode we’ve seen on home routers from Linksys and Belkin, you should never use it.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I never enable guest accounts of any type. If I trust a person/visitor enough, I'll log them into my secure network and allow the MAC address for 24 hours, after that, I block the MAC address until next time. Haven't had any unforeseen security problems so far.

Also, I NEVER use free public wifi anywhere, I've got enough bandwidth on my phone plan.
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use free public WiFi when I'm roaming. I ALWAYS use a VPN when I connect via one of these, to protect myself from the owner of the WiFi router.

(I get reasonable cost data in EU and USA, but outside those countries it is very expensive).
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks for those links, Rudi. They provided all the information I was looking for. Stuart, Claude: totally agree with your assertions.

Thanks all.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.