Does MSE Scan Outgoing Email?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Does MSE Scan Outgoing Email?

Post by BobH »

I'm having some difficulties with my email settings. It all started when I encountered problems trying to set up a new email address. I was able to add the email account at my ISP (Time Warner Cable) but encountered problems in Thunderbird (my mail client software). When I tried to add the email account in Thunderbird, it attempted to validate the account settings with the ISP and that test failed. This triggered my multi-day journey to fix the problem.

Because the error message arose in Thunderbird, I checked the Mozillazine forums for a solution. My symptoms didn't seem to fit any experience others have had. Checking with my ISP was recommended, which I did.

In talking with their support desk, I got a good Help Desk CSR who was knowledgeable about networking issues (a rare thing in my experience with TWC). In conversation I learned that they were phasing out servers that I had been using for inbound and outbound mail; so the first step was to change my server names and port numbers for all incoming (POP3) email addresses (example.twcservername.com; and port 110). I also discovered that I had somehow stopped using any security on my email; so I changed those settings for my email accounts as well. I use SSL/TLS and normal authentication for passwords. That led me to confirm that the passwords for each email account were the same at the ISP as I have them in my password manager. Next I changed the outbound (SMTP) server name and port number (587).

The result was that I could neither receive nor send email. The port numbers I was given by TWC are different than the defaults used in Thunderbird; so I tried using the TB defaults. That worked for my incoming email. That function seems to be operating correctly now but I cannot send email. I receive a TB indication that a link to the mail server is active, but the link times out without a message being sent.

Consulting the Mozillazine source again, I got the suggestion to check to see if my AV software scans outbound email. I've searched and found no answer to this question (but you all know how poor my search fu is).

Does anyone know if MSE scans outgoing email messages?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Does MSE Scan Outgoing Email?

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, MSE scans incoming mail, but not outgoing mail, but I cannot find a definitive reference for it.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

I've found no definitive answer either, but I have posted on the Microsoft Community forums and will reply here if I get an answer.

I've read several posts saying that MSE scans incoming email attachments and implying that the mail text itself is not scanned.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

AFAIK, TB also just checks incoming mail and not outgoing.
Default ports are 995 for incoming, 465 for outgoing.
SSL/TLS and normal password authentication.
My AV and malware checker is the one I set for both in and out mail checking but that should not affect the ability to access your ISP.
TB settings got to be so interactive, that once I got them running OK, I took screenshots of every Options and Account Settings page and kept them for future reference.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I got this response to my question on the Microsoft Community forum.
MSE does not scan incoming or outgoing e-mail (while e-mail is being downloaded or uploaded).

MSE scans any attachments to downloaded e-mail before the attachments are opened.

See MSE Consolidated FAQ - Item 31

This is a consumer specific forum. If you wish to “discuss” the technical aspects of your question you may wish to try the Technet Forum. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MVP Consumer Security
2014 - 2016
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, so your problems aren't related to MSE.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:I got this response to my question on the Microsoft Community forum.
MSE does not scan incoming or outgoing e-mail (while e-mail is being downloaded or uploaded).

MSE scans any attachments to downloaded e-mail before the attachments are opened.

See MSE Consolidated FAQ - Item 31

This is a consumer specific forum. If you wish to “discuss” the technical aspects of your question you may wish to try the Technet Forum. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MVP Consumer Security
2014 - 2016
I just love that "If you wish to “discuss” comment. :smile:
Still think it's a TB problem but will look further into that.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, Hans, it appears that the problems are not related to MSE. I'm still working on the outgoing mail problem, but I' receiving incoming mail at all of my accounts.

Thank, Viking Bob. I'm pretty sure that my issues are something to do with TB but I'm not willing to give Time Warner a pass just yet.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Hey BobH,

I know we are using different ISPs and Mail programs, but let me offer this. Bell Canada changed mail servers a short while ago. Up to that point, POP3 was used for both incoming and outgoing. Within the last couple of weeks I created a new mail address for my backup notifications and ran into some difficulty in sending messages. When I added the new Email address to Outlook, I let it do its verification process and it used IMAP in lieu of POP3. That caused issues with regards to using the Gmail server for outgoing mail.

I'm wondering if TWC's new mail servers have a like restriction on POP3 or IMAP?
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!

TWC supports both IMAP and POP3. I prefer POP3 because it doesn't leave mail on the ISP servers and I don't retrieve mail with mobile devices. The ports are different with IMAP using port 143 per TWC and POP3 using 110.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I know you said your outgoing SMTP port is set to 587. For some of my accounts 587 works fine. For others I have had to use port 25.

Try changing the port to 25... just a long-shot-in-the-dark.

And, I am assuming your mail server for both incoming and outgoing is mail.twc.com?
Regards,
Bob