Windows Defender

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Defender

Post by Gloria E »

Is anyone using or heard anything derogatory about this software? I did a Google search for Windows Defender reviews and found several that were not flattering.

I don't really need it because I have a very good one that I purchased and have no complaints.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Re: Windows Defender

Post by VegasNath »

So why consider it? There are hundreds of various options which will generate many different opinions, but if you are satisfied with what you have, you would be better sticking with it.
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't bother, Gloria. You already turned down Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender's big brother.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

With Windows Vista and Windows 7 it comes preinstalled.
I have seen that it is not that easy to uninstall in these two OS's. BUT, I have not tried, I just keep it updated in addition to other Protection programs I have running.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

VegasNath wrote:So why consider it? There are hundreds of various options which will generate many different opinions, but if you are satisfied with what you have, you would be better sticking with it.
You've got that right, Nathan. It's like asking should I shut the computer down at night. You'll get so many different opinions that you will be right back where you started. It's a matter of personal choice. :scratch:

Thank you for your valued opinion.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Don't bother, Gloria. You already turned down Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender's big brother.
You mean that Defender is connected somehow to SE? What does one have to do with the other? Please explain you're meaning.

I really don't think so because I still have Defender (at least for awhile I do).

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:With Windows Vista and Windows 7 it comes preinstalled.
I have seen that it is not that easy to uninstall in these two OS's. BUT, I have not tried, I just keep it updated in addition to other Protection programs I have running.
Well, I'm going to give it that old college try. If I fail then I too will keep it updated but not use it. It's so far below the one I use that it's not worth using (in my humble opinion). :cheers:

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Defender is a relatively simple security application that comes with Windows 7.
Microsoft created a more comprehensive security solution built on Windows Defender that can be downloaded separately: Microsoft Security Essentials. If you install MSE, Windows Defender will automatically be disabled. Since MSE does more than Windows Defender, it would be pointless to leave Windows Defender running. I assume that Windows Defender will be enabled again if you uninstall MSE.

In an earlier thread you decided that you didn't want the more powerful Microsoft Security Essentials, so I don't see why you would want to keep the weaker Windows Defender. But if you do, you're very welcome to do so, of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Windows Defender is a relatively simple security application that comes with Windows 7.
Microsoft created a more comprehensive security solution built on Windows Defender that can be downloaded separately: Microsoft Security Essentials. If you install MSE, Windows Defender will automatically be disabled. Since MSE does more than Windows Defender, it would be pointless to leave Windows Defender running. I assume that Windows Defender will be enabled again if you uninstall MSE.

In an earlier thread you decided that you didn't want the more powerful Microsoft Security Essentials, so I don't see why you would want to keep the weaker Windows Defender. But if you do, you're very welcome to do so, of course.

I have set up Windows Defender. I also run in real time Webroot Internet Security Essentials. I've read a lot about WD and I understand that it cannot eliminate the cause of infections so the computer gets re-infected.

Is it advisable to remove WD and just use WISE or is there some advantage of running both in real time. Also as far as WD is concerned I cannot find a shortcut to run the program from my desktop. To reach it I have to follow the path using My Computer, it's also not found in All Programs and there is no shortcut in it's files. This is very inconvenient and generated this post, creating a shortcut does not load the program just the files in the folder. There is no .exe file to make a true shortcut.

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Webroot Internet Security Essentials is a complete security solution. You might as well uninstall or disable Windows Defender.

If you prefer to keep Windows Defender, see Windows Defender Shortcut for detailed instructions, complete with screenshots, for creating a shortcut.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Webroot Internet Security Essentials is a complete security solution. You might as well uninstall or disable Windows Defender.

If you prefer to keep Windows Defender, see Windows Defender Shortcut for detailed instructions, complete with screenshots, for creating a shortcut.
I've searched Google, the web and other forums and found no information on uninstalling WD. Perhaps you can lead me to something that will accomplish that task. WD isn't included in Add/Remove or my uninstall program.

I can disable it using Services but I'd rather remove unused, unwanted programs if at all possible.

Thanks for any help you can supply.

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've replied in your other thread (MSCONFIG)
Best wishes,
Hans