AVG update problem

tomyrush
2StarLounger

AVG update problem

Post by tomyrush »

I have (had) the pay version of AVG 9.0. I have xp which is completely up to date.

This morning when I sat down I had a message from AVG saying they had updated my system and I needed to reboot. I said come back later and after about 3 delays I said OK and got up to make coffee.

Everything seemed to go ok. After a while I noticed that I could not access several web sites. After much searching, calling my ISP and having the run diagnostics on my dsl circuit, I still could not access certain web sites - it appeared that some sites I could never access and others floated in and out.

My ISP tech rep and I went thru everything that he and I could think of. Ran modem tests, etc. Finally I remembered that AVG had issued an update. I went into AVG and found a firewall log that noted since this morning there were over one hundred failures with the fire wall.

I tried to kill AVG and was completely unsuccessful. Every time I tried to kill any of the AVG processes, I got an error message saying the process was locked and would not let me kill the process. I finally completely uninstalled the AVG package. Too late, I tried to recover the log file that had the error, but it was gone.

After uninstalling AVG, everything worked, the web sites that I remembered had timeouts, worked fine.

After that I tried to contact AVG to see if anyone else had this problem. The AVG web site completely defeated me. There is evidently no way to contact tech support unless I pay for it on a per call basis. If that is truly the case, I am through with AVG.

Three questions: Is there any way to contact their tech support, for their pay version, without paying for it? If I reinstall AVG, is there any way to kill it without uninstalling? What is another package that does the AVG functions?

Thanks

Tom

HansV
Administrator

Re: AVG update problem

Post by HansV »

I don't know anything about AVG, but the built-in Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (free) offer hassle-free adequate protection.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Have you tried emailing Customer Support from this webpage?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

Thanks, I will try the microsoft security essentials, I run ZoneAlarm for a firewall.

Tom