"An error ocurred while sending mail ..." Thunderbird 3.1.9

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: "An error ocurred while sending mail ..." Thunderbird 3.

Post by DaveA »

Can you access your email account when at 'Yahoo.com" or is Rogers just using Yahoo as a third party service provider?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:Can you access your email account when at 'Yahoo.com" or is Rogers just using Yahoo as a third party service provider?
Hi Dave, and thanks for the "expert system" simulation!

I don't have an account at Yahoo; just GMail.

Rogers is using Yahoo as their email vehicle (my terminology). They appear to have outsourced email to Yahoo.
That is a major source of frustration to me, because Rogers now abdicates responsibility, saying that they have no control over their partner's policies.

Furthermore, Rogers claims that it doesn't promise email; that's just a freebie. They provide "Access to the internet".
I fail to see the distinction (although I understand the mechanics), but in the spirit of things, their actions (partnering with Yahoo) are inhibiting my enjoyment (hah!) of the full range of resources I might expect.

If I were trying to send email through a Yahoo! account and it failed to get through, I'd be trying to get in touch with Yahoo directly.

If as I suspect someone is using my name in vain, then I find it odd, since it must happen so frequently, that these guys haven't set up some sort of mechanism to check if that's the case.

It ought to be a simple matter to block emails coming from me except those coming from my computer/modem/ISP account.
I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I bet if I sent an email threatening to **** the **** of the ****** nation, the email source could and would be identified pretty quickly.
So that same identification path ought to be available to validate me.

Mainly I find it odd that the blocking seems to take place randomly; there appears to be no pattern.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you are using a GMail account, and you are using Rogers as your ISP, then Rogers should connect you directly to GMail for your mail 'transactions' to take place - Yahoo! should not figure in the equation.
(i.e. you are not sending your emails to Rogers who use Yahoo! to forward it to GMail)
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but if you are using a GMail account, and you are using Rogers as your ISP, then Rogers should connect you directly to GMail for your mail 'transactions' to take place - Yahoo! should not figure in the equation.
(i.e. you are not sending your emails to Rogers who use Yahoo! to forward it to GMail)
Hi Leif.
My poor wording (slaps own wrist)

I have a gMail account that I use mainly to subscribe to other people's eLetters etc so that GMail filters spam and sends to me just the stuff I want, but I don't use the gMail account on a regular basis.

I don't have a yahoo account, and don't use a Yahoo account.
Rogers.com, my ISP, has outsourced email to yahoo.

In my earlier email I was trying to say that the closest I get to any web-mail service is GMail, which is as we know not connected with yahoo.

I do apologize for setting you off on a wrong trail.

I try to do all my email through TBird so that I have a complete record of what's been said. (I use monthly folders Trash201106, Trash201105, Trash201104 stretching back through time).

I do use Outlook2003 first thing each morning; a Word 2003 job scans 400 press releases and then emits about 4 emails (to myself!) holding links to interesting stories. That mail client has been running flawlessly since installation last December.

That is, mainly, why I'm confused. I think of both Outlook and TBird as mail clients, both sending emails from this one machine down the same Pipeline to Rogers, who shrug and shovel it all into Yahoo.

After lunch I'm going to take the time to carefully re-configure TBird to whatever they did to Outlook two days ago.
It can't get any worse, can it? ("And they never heard from him again ....")

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:After lunch I'm going to take the time to carefully re-configure TBird to whatever they did to Outlook two days ago.
One sheet of paper and a sharp pencil later ...
I have changed (in the "Ougoing Mail Server" areas:
  • The mail server /smtp.broadband.rogers.com/plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com/
  • The port /587/465/
  • Connection security /None/This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)/
  • Authentication /password transmitted insecurely/Normal password/
I closed TBird, then reloaded it and as a test issued six or seven drafts that were sitting in the saved drafts folder after being refused transmission.

All seem to have gone on their way.
Of course I suspect that the changes in Rogers set up (which I have now effected thanks to Rogers tech support) have done the trick, but for all I know sometime in the past 3 hours Rogers have done something or Yahoo have done something since my email reply to them 3 hours ago.

I'd put my money on my 4 changes above, which leaves me puzzled.
The old settings must have been capable of creating some sort of intermittent fault, since, say, 9 out of 10 emails went out OK (or appeared to do so), and 1 in 10 got blocked. And sometimes emails went to a contact, and sometimes emails to that client were blocked.

So, let me see how my life unfolds over the next 24 hours.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

There may be a clue in what you had in your settings previously.

For example, if
/smtp.broadband.rogers.com/plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com/
had prevously just been
/smtp.rogers.com/plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com/
then they may have had full redirection from the incorrect address previously, but changed to only partial support of late, hence your recent 'issues'.

Or something.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:There may be a clue in what you had in your settings previously.
/smtp.broadband.rogers.com/plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com/
Or something.
Close.

I had both Outlook and Thunderbird set as "smtp.broadband.rogers.com", but the chat-operative, twinkle-fingered guy, hastily changed a whole lost of stuff.
If I didn't know any better I'd say it was done by a script, it was so fast.

This afternoon I saw that Outlook had been changed to "plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com", so I went and changed TBird to that.

I suspect that Rogers made changes and didn't notify me.

I am shaky on some of these settings; I get confused over where "SSL" or "authentication" or "secure" or "TLS" is required, and for that reason, starting about five years back, began maintaining Word documents with names like "ChrisGreaves.com.DOC", with tables of text for the GUI entries, and screen snapshots of the GUIs, so that, using a hard-copy form, I could set up my email (and FTP and ...) sub-systems properly from the get-go, instead of experimenting because I could never remember which is which.

It is for that reason that I am *sure* I set up everything in December 2010 when i got this notebook, exactly as i had it set up on the laptop. I'm just not clever enough to wing it in this area.

FWIW I have a Word template Options.dot with a VBA macro that custom-sets all the Tools Options when I reinstall MS-Office. I'd love to have that for email, since I always have Outlook, and TBird, then mail-washer or some sort of spam screener, and I find it a nervous hassle to key in all the settings.

I know I'm venting in this thread, but for something as essential to our daily lives, email seems to be such a complex setup, and so easily "broken" when a notification of change doesn't get through.
:rantoff:

(I should probably go back and put a :ranton: in my first post in this thread .....)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

For those trying to help poor old Chris, here ia a link to the help of Rogers yahoo Mail
http://help.yahoo.com/l/ca/rogers/mail/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see that there is a "all-new Rogers Yahoo! Mail and Rogers Yahoo! Mail Classic", which are you trying to use?

At http://help.yahoo.com/l/ca/rogers/mail/ ... ge-69.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says "Thunderbird by signing up for Rogers Yahoo! Mail Plus"

Outlook 2007
Are you using the setting shown at http://help.yahoo.com/l/ca/rogers/mail/ ... op-36.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:For those trying to help poor old Chris,
And poor old Chris is grateful ...
I see that there is a "all-new Rogers Yahoo! Mail and Rogers Yahoo! Mail Classic", which are you trying to use?
Neither.
Or at least, I wasn't.
I didn't have a clue about this Yahoo until the voice-operative at Rogers mentioned it.
I thought that I was using Rogers SMTP as an outgoing mail processor.
Herein, apparently, lies the problem.
Rogers, since I signed up with them 12 months ago, have changed things, but without letting me know.

At http://help.yahoo.com/l/ca/rogers/mail/ ... ge-69.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says "Thunderbird by signing up for Rogers Yahoo! Mail Plus" Outlook 2007 Are you using the setting shown at http://help.yahoo.com/l/ca/rogers/mail/ ... op-36.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Again, I had not a clue about "Rogers Yahoo! Mail Plus" until I saw your link, DaveA.
I got up two weeks last Friday and thought "I'll reply to this email", and ker-plop! I assume a hiccough. two days later, "I'll send an email" and ker-plop! again.

When I make the first call to Rogers, the more-brain-dead-operative than usual says that my problem is that I'm using Thunderbird, not Outlook. "We don't support Thunderbird". His words. Nothing like "As of two weeks ago we don't support Thunderbird" or even "Go to this page and read all about it". Just "Switch to Outlook, you paying customer, you".

(Interesting that techrep#1 says they don't support TBird, but the web page seems to say that they do!)

Only after I escalated the SECOND call did I get to Tina-the-voice who started talking about Yahoo!.
Who Knew?
Rogers is a communications company; why should they keep their customers informed?

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting to turn Rant On, or Off.

The manage 69 page appears to be for folks who use their web-based Rogers email address (I'm probably ChrisGreaves@Rogers.com) to do email, who want to switch from web-mail to POP3 mail.

I'm not like that.
I don't use a Rogers email address.

I have mail servers somewhere in Dallas, I think, called mail.chrisgreaves.com os similar, and all my mail is to and from CGreaves@ChrisGreaves.com.

The bottom line in all this is that the Rogers interface changed, and unless one is going to the Rogers site daily, or using a Rogers email address, one would never know about it.

Plus, of course, I assume that when something is set up and working fine (for the past 6 months), it should go on working.

I need a friend to drop by and take me out to supper at The Montreal Deli ...