Google Email

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Google Email

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've had my Gmail account for a couple of years now. I think I opened it because one of the residents at the nursing home used it and I was helping to teach her some things about using email and the web. We exchanged a few emails over a month or so and her condition has worsened so she doesn't do much these days.

I believe that about that time I added my email address to my Lounge sig but not sure about that.

The only reason I mention this is that this morning I got the first two spam emails that I've ever gotten at that account. They were both from the same source and something about teaching English as a foreign language. Quite surprising that I've not ever gotten more, considering the wide visibility of The Lounge to people and bots. In my case I really don't mind it because I have gotten a few emails of a personal nature from Loungers who wanted to contact me.

I suppose if it ever gets bad I could close the account 'cause I really don't need it or use it.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Google Email

Post by Rudi »

I have been using GMail for years and have never looked back. Its a great convenience, even though I have access to my work email through the net too. Coming back to the point though, spam has never really been a factor in my gmail account as it goes automatically to the spam folder (not that I have a lot anyways) and gets automatically deleted after 30 days to. So I never really "see" spam in my inbox. On the other hand, where will one ever be completely 100% free from spam?? I'd hold on to the account - you never know when you may need the account to train someone else on using internet email :)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I strongly recommend removing the email address from your post signature!

Any bot crawling web pages looking for email addresses will pick that up and deliver it to evil-doers for evil-doing. Anyone on the lounge that wants to contact you can PM you, then you can privately exchange email addresses for further discussings (sic).
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

One or two a year? I'll take my chances... Or close the account... Thnx...