Gmail

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Gmail

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, I use Gmail, previously it was accessed by POP3 using Windows Live Mail. Then I could open an email and save it as an EML file. Can this be done when accessing mail directly?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Gmail

Post by HansV »

You can't export messages directly from GMail, you have to do that through another mail client, using POP3 or IMAP.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Hans, just thought there was another way to. I found this method here.http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-bac ... -computer/
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks - Loungers may well find that useful!
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Your welcome as ever. This is a superb forum with only one complaint, nearly all subjects are about everything 'office' or related matters, which I know nothing about.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That has historic reasons. The first version of Woody's Lounge was created in the 1990's as a companion to the Woody's Office Watch newsletter which contained news, tips and tricks about Microsoft Word and other Office applications. So naturally the emphasis was on Microsoft Office.
Over time, other forums became more important, and when Woody's Lounge became the Windows Secrets Lounge and thousands of readers of the Windows Secrets joined, focus shifted towards the Windows and other applications forums.
Eileen's Lounge was started by six former administrators of Woody's Lounge in a nostalgic attempt to revive the atmosphere of the "old" Lounge. The Office forums form an important part of that...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I used this app recently to sort out the mess that happened when my work mail system was changed from TB to Outlook :hairout: It worked a treat, even if I did stretch the license in so doing (well it was for my personal use, even though I was at work and I only needed it for a single use).
http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

If I read the blurb correctly it will back up Gmail too.

Ken

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

I use Windows Live Mail (WLM) to pull in my Gmail but it's IMAP only, not POP3. If you know different I would be interested to know.

The home page for GMail Backup

- http://www.gmail-backup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Useful looking app for those using Gmail - thanks.
Regards
wasbit

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi all, thanks for your replies.
Part of the reason which I never mentioned was, if I pay a bill online, some companys send an email as confirmation, it was saved as a .eml file to an externadd hdd. using WLM. Now that my brain has been lubricated (extra strong coffee) I can use my very first email provider aol.com as it has a safe area for storing them. It still contains the very first one I wanted to keep.
I have stopped using WL Essentials as the email version 2011 was a PITA and Windows Live Photo Gallery ( I liked its cropping feature on the older version, but not on new version ) could not be downloaded without Movie Maker. Paint.net and snipping tool are my programs that do it now.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

Hi Folks, I use Gmail, previously it was accessed by POP3 using Windows Live Mail. Then I could open an email and save it as an EML file. Can this be done when accessing mail directly?
If the purpose is to save specific emails for documentation, you can use the Windows XPS Document Writer in Vista and Win 7 to print the email to an xps file. That's what I use for receipts and such. I have no desire to back all my emails up to my hard drive.
Charlotte

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

A better option is to use [Cute PDF Writer/] it even does it on web pages.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

HansV wrote:Eileen's Lounge was started by six former administrators of Woody's Lounge in a nostalgic attempt to revive the atmosphere of the "old" Lounge. The Office forums form an important part of that...
so, did we get the atmosphere? Or what is still missing?
Who will you Inspire today?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Timelord wrote:so, did we get the atmosphere?
IMHO we did.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

IMHO, Ken's right :grin:
Leif