How to block emails

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

How to block emails

Post by Dave Davison »

Before I said a sad goodby to XP and upgraded to W10 on my PC and W11 on my laptop I had the option of blocking unwanted emails from entering my IN box but now there seems to be no such option with both machines. The store where I bought the laptop set up my Virgin Media email account for me but seems to be channeled via Window Mail. Am I missing something or has the option to block unwanted emails been dropped on W10 & W11? :sad: laptop:thankyou: Dave. ps When I send an email from my laptop it is said to have been sent via "Mail for Wiindows".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to block emails

Post by HansV »

Didn't you use Outlook before? Do you have Microsoft Office installed?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Yes Hans, as far as I know I have always sent emails using Outlook and yes I have M/Office on both computers.....Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd start Outlook and set it as your default email client.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Tried to do that but it's the first time I've ever had to attempt that and don't know what to enter in the "server Information" boxes and seeing I first encountered Outlook some 23 years ago when I got my first computer I haven't a clue what my password is. SORRY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know your password either...

Does your ISP have a way of resetting the password?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Will explore that avenue tomorrow Thanks................did it on-line but what to enter into the "Server Information" is anothet matter. Regards Dave

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Dave, your ISP has the incoming and outgoing mail servers. They can tell you what values to use.

As for Account Type: POP3 tells the ISP to download your email then delete it. The other option is IMAP which means your ISP will send you your email and retain it for some period of time. Again, your ISP can tell you about those options.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 21:30
...what to enter into the "Server Information"...
1) Go to this page:
    https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadb ... il-account
2) Scroll down to the heading, "How to set up my Virgin Media email on a device"
3) In that Section, click on the dropdown for 'Outlook'
4) Follow the instructions for 'POP Server'

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

SORRY, found that a bit too complex so followed this You Tube tutorial [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w_z6Q6MIpk] which was a doddle and thought I had changed the default email to Outlook BUT when I click the icon in the taskbar window, Mail still opens. Any tips as to what else I need to do please as the latter does not seem to offer a "Block Sender" option like Outlook? :scratch: :thankyou: Dave

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you post a screenshot of the taskbar icon?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Email icon is third from left Thanks Hans.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To start Outlook, click the 4th icon from the left, with the orange O. That is Outlook.
I'd right-click the 3rd icon and select 'Unpin from taskbar' from the context menu. That removes the blue Mail icon from the taskbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

By accessing the Virgin Media mail servers (log on to your Virgin Media account via any browser) you can set up email Rules to prevent selected emails from arriving on your PC.
However this is an arcane process which I have found to be highly unreliable, so if you are able to use a method in Outlook I suggest you try that way first!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans & John. How very odd Hans that right clicking the said icon as you rightly suggested should offer an "Unpin" option but instead shows that of "Pin to taskbar ". Though it is no hassle as I simply ignore the mail icon now that I realise that the outlook icon is visible as it was all along after following the tutorial I mentioned. Thanks a lot though I can now divert unwanted emails to the Delete folder.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Still on the subject of Outlook, I am able to receive emails but not able to "Send" them, they just remain in my "Out" folder, I am confident the advice to remedy this anomaly will come from this forum which for me over the past 23 years, has kept me on the straight and narrow I.T. highway. SO, in expectancy, thanks in advance. Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you can't send it sounds like you've not got the outbound setting correct. I know you've already dismissed my previous post as too complex but I suggest you need to try again, after all they are the instructions are the ones that Virgin give:
To update your POP Server settings:

Open Outlook
Select File
Select Account Settings
Select Account Settings again
Select the Virgin Media Mail account you wish to change
Select Change
You’ll see your current server settings
Update the mail servers addresses to:

Incoming mail server: pop3.virginmedia.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.virginmedia.com
User Name: Your full email address

9. Select More Settings

Select the Outgoing Server tab
Make sure My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is ticked
Make sure Use same settings as my incoming mail server is ticked
Select the Advanced tab
Update the Incoming server (POP3) settings to:

Port: 995
Select: This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL/TLS)

Update the Outgoing server (SMTP) settings to:

Port: 465
In Use the following type of encrypted connection select: SSL / TLS

Select OK
To test your settings, select Automatically test account settings when Next is selected
Select Next
Once confirmed as working, you can close the Account Settings window

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Ken, a thousand thanks for your precise details which I was able to follow without any trouble with the result that when I checked the "Setting" I got the green light saying they were correctly set. So; as we say in thee frozen north east, I am cooking with gas. Sincere thanks for your patience incidentally; I just noticed that we both joined this forum the same week, one of the best moves I have made in my eight decades + on this earth especially since -now living alone and without a TV - I spend many a long hour on my laptop. Not good for the eyes but now the weather is picking up I will be spending a lot more time in my allotment. Thanks Ken for your willingness to persevere with a slow but determind learner. Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 20:40
...your precise details which I was able to follow without any trouble...
Glad they helped but those details were a simple copy and paste from the link I gave in my earlier post, i.e. they are the instructions you dismissed as too complex.

Ken