WLM Contacts

RonH
SilverLounger

WLM Contacts

Post by RonH »

Every time I delete Contacts from my listing they pop up again!
I recently cleaned up my lists, deleting eg duplications of names etc. However when I go to send an email (EMail Message/To) I find that the duplications are still there in the list?? Is this a known problem :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: WLM Contacts

Post by HansV »

Are these listed in the Contacts section, or are they names/email addresses that pop up as you type in the To... box?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Are these listed in the Contacts section, or are they names/email addresses that pop up as you type in the To... box?
Just now I deleted a lot of Contacts (from WLM bottom left Home page/Contacts) and they delete OK.
When I go to send an email and use the 'To' box I find that they are still there.
I go back to the main page Contacts and they are not listed ... but reappear sometime later.
My WLM default email is a POP3 paid for but I also have a Hotmail account that is rarely used.

Ideas?
Thanks Hans
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What kind of e-mail account(s) are you using? Contacts that you add from within Windows Live Mail are stored locally, but for example if you have a Live Hotmail account, Hotmail contacts are stored on the Hotmail server, so they may come back.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

That may well be the cause! I changed pc a while back and moved my Contacts from Windows Mail/Vista to this WLM on Windows7 64bit. I am sure that I did it locally and not via Hotmail but ... you have made me think. I will check what contacts I have in Hotmail ... if they have 'grabbed' my entries then this may be the reason they come back. I will try to delete at Hotmail to see what happens.

How can I check if my large contact listing is locally held? I do keep a .CSV so I have a local copy just in case.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Locally created contacts are stored in C:\Users\<username>\Contacts. There will be a separate .contact file in this folder for each account.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Nothing there except 'me' so they must be in WLM/Hotmail. Out of interest, I made a new contact in my WLM and then went into Hotmail (via their home page and not from my WLM/Hotmail) and this new entry was listed. I then deleted it at my WLM and checked again Hotmail ... sure enough it was deleted.
So 'they' have grabbed my Contacts it seems but this maybe due to me and the way in which I originally transferred them from Windows Mail. Is there an easy way to 'get them back locally?' I love to be in control!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've never tried that, but you could log into Hotmail in your browser using your Windows Live ID, export the contacts (if necessary), then delete them. Next, start WLM but don't log in (or log out if you're automatically logged in), and import the contacts.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... will have a think about that.
Since you say 'you have never tried that', maybe its not so bad to have Contacts in one place which seems to be what WLM is all about. I must be 'old fashioned' having the idea that it must be 'local' in my pc, especially since I do have a .CSV file 'local' just in case!
Will keep you posted.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.