Live Mail Error Message

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Live Mail Error Message

Post by Gloria E »

I have removed and reinstalled WLM 2011 to no avail, this error message keeps appearing when sending or receiving emails. The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'SUPPORT #JIN-465341: Error Message'
Server: 'smtp.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10060

I have contacted Comcast Support, my email settings were checked and they are correct. I was advised to contact Microsoft, but they only support WLM via their forum. I am waiting to get a reply, but haven't heard from them in a week. :sad:

I uninstalled WLM via Control Panel, rebooted. Then reinstalled the product, but to no avail, the error message appears every time I send or receive. I realize that I can read mail via Comcast Mail, but I prefer to use WLM. :evilgrin:

Help is needed, big time, so please help me fix the email client.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Live Mail Error Message

Post by HansV »

Right-click your Comcast account on the left hand side of WLM.
Select Properties from the popup menu.
Activate the Advanced tab.
Make a note of the state of the check boxes "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)".
Clear both of them, then click OK.
Does that make a difference?
If not, please restore the original settings.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Gloria, try changing port 587 to 465.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Right-click your Comcast account on the left hand side of WLM.
Select Properties from the popup menu.
Activate the Advanced tab.
Make a note of the state of the check boxes "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)".
Clear both of them, then click OK.
Does that make a difference?
If not, please restore the original settings.
Hans, they both were already checked, but to make sure, I unticked and ticked again. Alas, no cigar. In WLM I chose Properties > Server tab, and tried removing tick from Log on using clear text authentication and selecting Log on using secure password authentication, that made no difference either, so back went the original choices. I rebooted after ever change hoping that would make a difference, another mark under the Failed list.

I'm striking out no matter what I try, it's driving me up the wall. :scratch: :flee:

Somebody please find a fix.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try Roderunner's suggestion of changing the port number - it's in the same tab of the Properties dialog.
If port 465 doesn't work, you can also try port 25. If that doesn't work either, change it back to 587.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Outgoing mail (SMTP) is 25, can't put that in both places.
Incoming mail (POP3) is now back to 587 because 465 didn't fix the situation.
Did I mention that I can't receive or send emails? Sent mail ends up in the Outbox.
I'm completly shut down with WLM.

I found WLM mentioned in Webroot's firewall. Allow parent wasn't selected for WLM, I just allowed parent. I don't know what good that will do but it can't hurt an already dead animal, can it?

BTW what does allow parent mean?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does it help if you allow WLM in the Webroot firewall? (I don't know what Allow parent means either)
If not, try disabling the Webroot firewall temporarily to see if it makes a difference.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Gloria, outgoing mail SMTP is 465 or 587. Incoming mail POP3 is 995. With both SSL boxes ticked.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Does it help if you allow WLM in the Webroot firewall? (I don't know what Allow parent means either)
If not, try disabling the Webroot firewall temporarily to see if it makes a difference.
When I open the firewall from the system tray, it only removes it from there, it does not shutdown or disable the Webroot firewall. When I chose to close it, a message appeared that said: You are about to turn off Webroot's system tray application. It will continue to run on your computer and will auto protect you from threats. Akk scheduled actions will still be performed.

Looks like it would have to be uninstalled to test if it makes a difference using WLM.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you already tried if telling the firewall to allow WLM solves the problem?

If it doesn't solve it, uninstalling the Webroot firewall might be worth a try - the built-in Windows Firewall should automatically take over.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Gloria E wrote:
HansV wrote:Does it help if you allow WLM in the Webroot firewall? (I don't know what Allow parent means either)
When I open the firewall from the system tray, it only removes it from there, it does not shutdown or disable the Webroot firewall. When I chose to close it, a message appeared that said: You are about to turn off Webroot's system tray application. It will continue to run on your computer and will auto protect you from threats. Akk scheduled actions will still be performed.

Looks like it would have to be uninstalled to test if it makes a difference using WLM.
HansV wrote:Have you already tried if telling the firewall to allow WLM solves the problem?

If it doesn't solve it, uninstalling the Webroot firewall might be worth a try - the built-in Windows Firewall should automatically take over.
Hans, I don't have to do anything that drastic, went into WLM > Comcast.net > Properties > Advanced tab and clicked on Default. Outgoing mail showed 25, Incoming mail showed 995. Checked Mail and I got emails :clapping: :fanfare:

Roderummer was partially correct, the 995 worked combined with 25 and all is right, once again, with the world until it happens again, of course. :thankyou: one and all for your wonderful assistance. This is the place to come if you need help from the pros.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that!
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Gloria, if you try to send mail using port 25, you might have problems. It should have SSL ticked with 465 or 587.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.