Setting up Email Account

RonH
SilverLounger

Setting up Email Account

Post by RonH »

I presently use Windows Mail on Vista and am looking at upgrading my pc for a faster processor etc because I use Photoshop/Movie Maker etc a lot. This will mean Windows Live Mail and Windows 7.

I would like to use my existing email account on the new pc which will be connected as a second pc to my current broadband via wireless router. Ideally, it would be great to have both pc's with the same email address until I have sorted myself out with the new pc at which time a new, separate email acct will be established for my lady on the 'old' pc. We will then end up with each having our own email address.

Can I do this and how? Recently in the UK on a visit to my sister I nooticed that the same email address had been set up on her two pc's sharing the same broadband account so it must be possible.
Thanks in advance :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Setting up Email Account

Post by stuck »

If your mail account is an IMAP aka a webmail account then the mail resides on your ISPs remote server and thus you can connect to it from as many PCs as you like. You just need a suitable client. I don't use Windows Live Mail but I do know it can act as an IMAP client.

However, if your mail account is a POP3 then your mail is transferred from your ISP's server to your PC. It follows that once it has been downloaded to a particular PC you can only see it if you are at that PC.

So to answer your question, you first need to find out what type of mail account your have.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

With an IMAP account, messages are always left on the server. With POP3, leaving a copy of messages on the server is optional - it should be one of the "Advanced" settings of the email account.
Best wishes,
Hans

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Before you make the switch, export you windows mail settings to a flash drive as a .csv file. Then when you get Windows Live Mail you can inport these into the new mail client. just a thought to save time and effort later.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Windows Live Mail is much easier to set up than it used to be as most server details are detected & entered for you.

Using Windows Live Mail I pull in 8 different email addresses from Live, Gmail & Hotmail for family & Yahoo for an elderly neighbour.

Live & Hotmail are Pop3 whilst Gmail & Yahoo are IMAP. If your email provider is also your ISP then they will either have sent you the relevant details or they will be available on their website.

If I read all my emails via WLM on my desktop PC then do the same on a second PC (or if I log on to each of the web sites) the emails are then shown as having been read.

The default setting for all my accounts would seem to be to leave the messages on the server as I've not yet had to make a choice.
Regards
wasbit

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Ron, I log in to WLM using my Windows Live ID, add my Gmail account using POP3, remove WL Account. Now I can send/read my mail without losing it, Google 'Archives' it when accessed using POP. As my 'Hotmail' account has all my contacts saved, I don't need to add them manually when sending mail.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for all your kind replies.
I use a POP3 email account as far as I can tell (mail.c2i.net) here in Norway. But from what you say, I can have more than one pc sharing the same email address. As I get further into this I will check with you again if I get into difficulties.
Again thanks for all the advice. :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

New pc should be delivered this week ... ordered HP notebook with Intel i7 2630QM processor.
Of course I now find out that Windows7 does not come with Windows Mail ... what do you think of Windows Live Mail? Is it worth having? I use just my paid POP3 email acct plus a Hotmail that I rarely use. I like my emails stored on my pc and not at some cyberspace location :flee: which seems to gather up much junk mail in spite of my efforts to block it. Rarely get it on my paid acct.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I use WLM with 2 pop3 accounts and a web based account very successfully. When I choose to Check Mail or simple open WLM, it checks all my accounts at the same time. Plus WLM has a nice calendar feature.
WLM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Live Mail 2011 is a capable free mail client. It is a standalone program that stores your emails locally (with an option to leave them on the mail server too if you wish).
Mozilla Thunderbird is a good alternative, from the makers of Firefox. It's free too.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your inputs ... I will give it a go :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.