WLM - Emoticons

aekyall
4StarLounger

WLM - Emoticons

Post by aekyall »

Annoyingly, if I try to put single letters in parenthesis - for example "member(s)" - when composing an e-mail using WLM, the letter between the parenthesis gets automatically turned into an emoticon - in the case of the (s), it gets turned into a sleepy half moon! - Other letters seem to generate other emoticons - Is there any way of turning this function off? If I need to insert an emoticon in the body of the text there is an option to do so on the tool bar anyway

Thanks
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: WLM - Emoticons

Post by HansV »

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable this stupid behaviour. There are two workarounds, and neither is very attractive:

- Compose messages in plain text instead of HTML, or
- Press Ctrl+Z immediately after WLM has converted a string to an emoticon. (You'll have to do this each time)
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Hans. As you say, neither that attractive, but I'll give the Ctrl+Z a try next time the issue crops up - at least it gives me a work-round.
Many thanks,
Regards,
Keith

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

aekyall wrote:... the letter between the parenthesis gets automatically turned into an emoticon ...
Another case, in my humble opinion, of Microsoft catering to the masses and ignoring the professionals.
I think they used the same approach in Office 97, for sure it is rampant in Office 2000, for I've been using the Ctrl-Z trick (mentioned by Hans) for a few years now.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, but in Office applications, this is controlled by the AutoCorrect list, which is fully customizable:
x56.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Chris. I've now adopted the Ctrl-Z option and it works okay - and it's not actually that much of an inconveniece (but not knowing the availability of the option was!!)
Regards,

Edited: just seen Han's response to you - pity there's no Autocorrect list option within WLM!
Regards,
Keith

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... in Office applications, this is controlled by the AutoCorrect list, which is fully customizable
True. I'd overlooked that.
It gets Worse!
I just took a look and see that I have already deleted all the emoticons :blush:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

aekyall wrote:I've now adopted the Ctrl-Z option ...
Here's a consolation prize:
I maintain that 90% of whatever you are doing in Word (and probably Excel) can be done by super-gluing the little finger of the left hand to the Ctrl key and using just the alphabetic characters that surround it:
  • Ctrl-Z
    Ctrl-A
    Ctrl-S
    Ctrl-X
    Ctrl-C
    Ctrl-V
    Ctrl-B

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
aekyall wrote:I've now adopted the Ctrl-Z option ...
Here's a consolation prize:
I maintain that 90% of whatever you are doing in Word (and probably Excel) can be done by super-gluing the little finger of the left hand to the Ctrl key and using just the alphabetic characters that surround it:
  • Ctrl-Z
    Ctrl-A
    Ctrl-S
    Ctrl-X
    Ctrl-C
    Ctrl-V
    Ctrl-B
Now that's an interesting concept - if a little extreme!! - But thanks for the pointer(s) anyway!
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Apple Lisa and Macintosh introduced the keyboard shortcuts Command+Z for Undo, Command+X for Cut, Command+C for Copy and Command+V for Paste, because Z, X, C and V are easily combined with the Command key and fairly easy to memorize.

Where applicable, the original Lisa/Macintosh programs also used Command+Q for Quit, Command+A for Select All, Command+N for New, Command+O for Open, Command+S for Save, Command+P for Print, Command+F for Find and Command+B/I/U for Bold, Italic and Underline.

Microsoft originally used Shift+Delete for Cut, Ctrl+Insert for Copy and Shift+Insert for Paste. These still work in recent versions of Windows, but since they aren't exactly easy to press or to memorize, they have largely been superseded by Apple-inspired shortcuts.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

Sorry to dredge up a very old post, but if/when you upgrade your Windows Live Mail Desktop client to WLM 2011, you'll find an option to disable auto-correcting has been added, solving aekyall 's original problem perfectly.

It's in Email, Home (on the ribbon) , Options, Mail, Compose tab.

Stuckling1

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Nice to hear that even Microsoft learns sometimes...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just a note on the smiley's in Word. When the smiley (or other autocorrect item) occurs, point the mouse on it and a thin blue line appears. Point under this line and click the lightning bolt that appears. This is very fiddly, but you should obtain the options shown, so that you can instruct Word to stop auto-correcting this item.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can also select Tools | AutoCorrect Options... (Word 97-2003), or click Office > Word Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options... (Word 2007), or File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options... (Word 2010). You can then edit or delete the smiley autocorrect entries.
x448.png
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Yes I realised that, but I find it useful to be able to delete the AutoCorrect entries as they occur. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.