Problems with WLM - calendar updating constantly

aekyall
4StarLounger

Problems with WLM - calendar updating constantly

Post by aekyall »

For the last couple of days WLM as been playing up! It is constantly cycling through 'updating calendar/your calendar is up to date' (right hand side of the status bar). If I reboot then sometimes it will clear for a few minutes, only to restart its continual cycling again. I've tried to do a repair under 'Windows Essentials 2012' program - it goes through the 'repair' and tells me it has successfully completed it - unfortunately, it doesn't work! the updating calendar just keeps on cycling. I can send mail, and seem to be able to receive mail if I force a 'send/receive', but WLM immediately goes back to the calendar updating again.

I'm worried that if I try to uninstall WLM (Windows Essentials 2012) and then re-install it, I will lose my e-mail address book contacts in the process - is that correct?

Any offers on what I could try to rectify this, annoying, problem please? By the way, I actually don't use the calendar option but it won't let me delete the primary calendar - I've tried creating another primary and then deleting the old one, but it doesn't help.

Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Problems with WLM - calendar updating constantly

Post by Rudi »

Have a look at the following Microsoft Community Thread.
Please note: I do not use WLM and cannot test if the advice is sound.

Calendar update loop
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Many thanks Rudi! Followed the steps from Microsoft forum and it appears to have done the trick - at least so far anyway!!

Much appreciated - you deserve at least one of these :cheers: and one of these :chocciebar:

:thankyou:
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

aekyall wrote:Much appreciated - you deserve at least one of these :cheers: and one of these :chocciebar:
TX, but in fairness, I shall pass it on to the author of that post in the MS Community :smile:

:cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Ah! But you found the relevant post/solution, I wouldn't have!!!
Regards,
Keith

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

As you never mentioned the 'fix' was it this:-
RR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

No George, nothing to do with the time setting for checking new messages option. The 'fix' was to delete and rename the primary calendar name, as in the link in Rudi's post 117560 above. Judging by the Microsoft forum Q & A's on the subject, it is a problem that has occurred to several people, not just me! HTH
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Thanks Keith, the only minor problem I have with WLM 2012 is, I input a new reminder / event on one PC's calendar it does not get updated on the other unless I open the calendar. I use the same account on both pc's. It looks like this on both.
RR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Can't help you with that one I'm afraid! Annoyingly for me, I don't (and never have) used the calendar facility in WLM - I'm old fashioned I guess! I prefer a real diary that I can put in my pocket and take with me wherever I go. Suggest you might like to follow Rudi's link to the Microsoft forum - there are several topics about/around the calendar option - seems quite a few people have (having!) various problems. You might just find an answer to your specific problem there. Best of luck!
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In addition to what Keith mentioned, also have a look at this link and the below quote.
Hopefully you might be able to extract some info from it that could help resolve your calendar sync issue.
I do not use WLM, so I am not able to test it and supply confirmed info.

See this link about Calendar Sync: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/wind ... 03544.aspx

See this quote taken from this thread:
SOLUTION TO SYNCING PROBLEM
by mc1soft - 10/17/11 10:35 PM
In Reply to: Syncing by hexrunner

If you are still having this problem, here is the solution. I have verified it by syncing between webmail, 2009 version of Windows Live Mail (WLM), and 2011 version of WLM. I did this first using hotmail, and then using a private IMAP email account on one of my domain hosts. It works just as you request, automatically! There are several points, however, at which one might have problems:

1. In WLM, you cannot change a POP3 account (the default) to an IMAP account. You must delete it and start over, and use manual server configuration, and the settings and ports given by your mail host provider. To avoid losing mail when deleting the account, drag messages to a storage folder, and drag them back when finished.

2. The initial sync is very slow. Might take hours to sync a few thousand messages, such as I have.

3. It only syncs folders in the actual IMAP mail accounts. It does not sync "storage folders." There is no way to sync storage folders which are only on your hard drive and not on the IMAP server, because WLM arbitrarily renames the message files.

4. Some IMAP accounts follow a strange hierarchy. ALL folders are within the INBOX folder! This is not true of Hotmail, but it was true of my private email account. I got an error when trying to create outside the INBOX hierarchy.

5. When I created a new folder using WLM on one computer, it automatically appeared in webmail, and so did any messages that I dragged in there. BUT, the folder would NOT appear on the other computer no matter how much syncing I did, even a "sync everything." I had to create the folder manually on the second computer. When I did that, WLM automatically synchronized it, and the messages appeared. So you have to create the folder hierarchy manually on each computer. This actually could be a "feature" if you don't want all the folders to appear on every computer, for privacy or efficiency reasons.

WARNING! While in most cases WLM seems to actually store copies of messages on all computers, in a few cases it had to retrieve the message from the server when I tried to open it. If anyone has more insight to this, please post a reply, thanks.

Since it syncs the full message with attachments, you can use this like a general records archival and sync, without having a separate account for that.

It took several days to figure this out because I was not familiar with IMAP or WLM. But now I am very happy with it, because it eliminates the manual syncing I was doing on Outlook Express between computers, which I would occasionally mess up. Hope the info is helpful.
Regards,
Rudi

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Keith & Rudi, thanks for your replies. Here is a fuller description of my set-up.
-
I sign in on both pc's with the same Hotmail account using POP3, but only use Gmail in it. My contacts are synced ok. If I get and read a message on PC1 it will not be accessible on PC2 & Vice Versus, as Gmail archives them when accessed using POP3.
-
As you will see if you look at my image, I have the Calendar displayed on the right of my page. It shows limited entrys, usually 4 only.
If I set another 'Event' within that time period, it will be seen on the PC it was set on.
If I then go to my other PC, open WLM, it goes through the motions of checking for mail, authorising, etc and finally says my calendar has been updated. That is WRONG. The only way to get it done correctly is be clicking the calendar tab.
I had posted this in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they couldn't help.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.