False McAffee Emails Defy Outlook Rules

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

False McAffee Emails Defy Outlook Rules

Post by hlewton »

When I get emails from those I don’t want, I have created rules that automatically move the incoming emails to either the Junk or the Delete folder. This has always worked for me until the false McAffee emails came along and have tried to get me to open these emails. I have created rules similar to the ones that worked for me in the past. As you can see from the attachments, I have used the advanced option and then used specific words, McAffee, everywhere in the rule I could, and these disturbing emails defy the rules I have created. Sometimes the emails come in with ".McAffee Support." So I just chose to use McAffee because it always appears in the subject line in some form. Please see the attachments.

Can anyone tell me why these false McAffee emails are getting into my Inbox instead of going to the Delete Folder, as I have specified? Thanks
McAffee.jpg
Rule.jpg
rule1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Fase McAffee Emails Defy Outlook Rules

Post by HansV »

What happens if you clear the check box "Sent only to me"?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 19:20
What happens if you clear the check box "Sent only to me"?
Hans, that is not what it usually says. I just used that instead of my real email address but I will try clearing that box and see what happens. I never did in the past because my email address is where it always comes in.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I suspect that selecting multiple options sets up an AND condition. You probably need separate rules for each option.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 20:08
I suspect that selecting multiple options sets up an AND condition. You probably need separate rules for each option.
Do you mean I should create separate rules and only choose 1 option at a time? That's easily done so I'll try it. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: False McAffee Emails Defy Outlook Rules

Post by John Gray »

Since McAffee is a mis-spelling of McAfee, which would not be encountered in a message outside spam or incompetence, couldn't you create a rule based simply on that word?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

John Gray wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 08:05
Since McAffee is a mis-spelling of McAfee, which would not be encountered in a message outside spam or incompetence, couldn't you create a rule based simply on that word?
That's the problem, I have done that continually using McAffee alone or in combination with the word Support and nothing seems to stop it from arriving in my Inbox.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try creating a rule that looks like this.

S2405.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I don't know if it is relevant, but you appear to have misspelt McAffee here:

x.jpg

Have you checked the header (in plain text / Message Options) to see if there are any hidden characters which would fool the filter looking at strict spelling?

Have you checked the body in plain text to see if there are any hidden characters which would fool the filter looking at strict spelling? (I think you should see this if you move the message to your Junk folder)
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 13:13

S2405.png
I will try it that way but I believe I already have. After I created multiple rules trying to eliminate the AND condition StuartR suggested another McAffee email just arrived in my Inbox.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 13:19
I don't know if it is relevant, but you appear to have misspelt McAffee here:

x.jpg

Have you checked the header (in plain text / Message Options) to see if there are any hidden characters which would fool the filter looking at strict spelling?

Have you checked the body in plain text to see if there are any hidden characters which would fool the filter looking at strict spelling? (I think you should see this if you move the message to your Junk folder)
Thank you for finding that but I'm not sure I misspelled it in the past. I have never opened the email to see anything. Not sure how I would open it safely and look at it in plain text.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 13:13

S2405.png
Apparently I never had a rule like this and cannot get this one to run. I think I have done what you suggested but when I try to apply it, I get an error dialog box and don't know what to do from that point. Please see the attachments.
Rule.jpg
McAffee(3).jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps delete the failing rules first?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 19:40
Perhaps delete the failing rules first?
I deleted all of them, about 20, and created the rule you suggested and still get the error dialog box. When I create the rule, I am creating a new rule. That is the only way I found to have "specific word in the subject" option. But that still does not look like yours. There is an option above it, please see attachment and the red arrow points out the option that is not shown in your screen shot. I don't think that would make a difference but I can't get it to work trying to duplicate your suggestion.
rule1.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is what I select immediately after clicking New Rule...

S2406.png
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK, thanks. I will give that a try.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I got the same error box and just told it yes. I'll see what happens when McAffee comes in again.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you have other rules defined which are processed before the troublesome ones and they have the "Stop processing more rules" option checked and these emails would satisfy one of these rules then your troublesome rules will never be evaluated.

Setting up a precedence for rules can be tricky. You definitely do not want one rule to have a series of AND conditions unless you are sure your target emails will satisfy all the AND conditions at once.

If you are having trouble deleting rules you can use the /cleanrules command line switch to delete ALL rules. Use WIN+R then "Outlook.exe /cleanrules". NOTE: this deletes ALL rules in ALL accounts in the current profile. You can export your rules before this command to make a backup. See Keep client rules.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 13:44
If you have other rules defined which are processed before the troublesome ones and they have the "Stop processing more rules" option checked and these emails would satisfy one of these rules then your troublesome rules will never be evaluated.

Setting up a precedence for rules can be tricky. You definitely do not want one rule to have a series of AND conditions unless you are sure your target emails will satisfy all the AND conditions at once.

If you are having trouble deleting rules you can use the /cleanrules command line switch to delete ALL rules. Use WIN+R then "Outlook.exe /cleanrules". NOTE: this deletes ALL rules in ALL accounts in the current profile. You can export your rules before this command to make a backup. See Keep client rules.
Thank you. I am going to have to take a little time to understand this but I will look into it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 05:58
This is what I select immediately after clicking New Rule...

S2406.png
Well after I thought I had deleted all 20 or so of the rules I had created to try and stop McAffee from reaching my Inbox, I revisited the rules today and all of them were still there. So I deleted them again today and this time when I finished deleting them I hit the "Apply" button. I exited the rules and went back in and those I deleted were, in fact, deleted this time. I restarted the computer just to be sure and made a new rule, as you suggest in this screenshot. It created and allowed me to apply and exit as I should be able to do without that error dialog box. Now all that remains is to see if it stops McAffee from reaching my Inbox.

As a a side note, I did notice the misspelling of McAfee but the biggest thing that stood out to me was when they said my subscription would be expiring. I have never used McAfee on any of my machines, not even when I was working and the company controlled what we used.
Regards,
hlewton