IMAP vs POP3

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

IMAP vs POP3

Post by ErikJan »

I still use POP3 and struggle with arguments to move to IMAP. Yes, I read the information out on the internet but somehow it just doesn't sketch a clear picture for me.
I know POP3 downloads emails to the local system (where the user can archive these in a PST file). It is however possible to keep a copy on the server indefinite or for a certain amount of time.
IMAP doesn't download but keeps messages on the server. In Outlook there's an OST file however which allows a local offline copy to be held for a configurable amount of time backwards (from 0 days to indefinite).
So to me, I can configure POP3 to behave like IMAP if I keep messages online indefinitely. Also POP3 allows a local copy (which IMAP also does if I configure the offline OST file to hold ALL messages). The benefit of local copies is that I will always have a local archive of emails (even if I change email addresses, email providers). (And PSTs files are easier to 'process/open' than OST files).
I have configured my POP3 with one master account that downloads and removes emails from the server after 21 says. The other systems are POP3 too but keep the server copy.
I also wonder where the growing amount of emails and attachments (e.g. photos!) stay if everyone uses IMAP... Don't the servers run out of space sometime? With my POP3 I generate one PST per (e.g.) 2 years and store older ones off line (and/or in the cloud separately).
So... based on what arguments should I make a choice to advice IMAP over POP3?
I heard the IMAP syncs... So I did a test with two systems and IMAP. It indeed seems that the Inbox syncs (but it will do that with my POP3 setup too), it does NOT seem to sync "Sent Items" or "Drafts" however (this, in honesty, also doesn't happen with POP3).
Anyone who can shed some additional light on this one maybe?

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Re: IMAP vs POP3

Post by LineLaline »

I can't help bacause I have exactly the same feelings about it and still prefer POP3. I have to use Imap in some cases and a host told me my problems were due to my using POP3 instead of Imap, which was not true since all was resolved without making the switch. It seems so far it's so easy to say 'just use IMAP' but I haven't heard anything convincing to make me switch.
And yes I create PST's too, store them, and they are a breeze to use. I ran into all sorts of annoyances using IMAP.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ErikJan wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 10:06
IMAP doesn't download but keeps messages on the server.
I think you will find that the messages are downloaded, otherwise you wouldn't be able to read them. Do you mean IMAP doesn't automatically delete them once they are downloaded?
ErikJan wrote:
I also wonder where the growing amount of emails and attachments (e.g. photos!) stay if everyone uses IMAP... Don't the servers run out of space sometime?
Typically, all users of IMAP (and POP3) are given a quota. Once you have reached that limit, incoming emails are blocked.
ErikJan wrote:
I heard the IMAP syncs... So I did a test with two systems and IMAP. It indeed seems that the Inbox syncs (but it will do that with my POP3 setup too), it does NOT seem to sync "Sent Items" or "Drafts" however (this, in honesty, also doesn't happen with POP3).
All the IMAP accounts I have synchronise all folders, including 'Sent' and 'Drafts'. Have you changed the default locations for these?
I don't think POP3 syncs with your mail server to any extent, other than perhaps delete emails that you have deleted locally. It will 'sync' insofar as your local client will download emails that are marked as not having been previously been downloaded from the server, and so it may appear to be the same.

If you are happy to have one POP3 account on a single machine that stores your sent items, that is up to you. You are responsible for ensuring backups.

If you want the ability to see all mail items, including sent emails, plus a consistent folder structure, from multiple devices, and also see exactly the same view if you go in via a Web Mail client, I recommend IMAP.
Leif

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

1. IMAP doesn't download but as I indicate files can be synced with devices to allow offline use (in OST files). The originals remain on the server.
2. If one uses POP3 and stores the emails in PST files without keeping a copy (!) on the server, servers running out of space are not an issue ever with POP3
3. I didn't create special folders and I know POP3 doesn't sync. But for IMAP, with the originals on the server, I'd expect that local systems will sync their structure locally (and as said, I could not yet reproduce that outside the Inbox, but I admit that this is my ignorance probably)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

IMAP syncs all my Gmail folders, not just the Inbox.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

One big difference between IMAP and POP3 is what happens when you delete a message, or move it to a different folder. If you use POP3 then these actions only affect the local copy. If you use IMAP then the message is deleted (or moved) on the server as well as on your PC.
StuartR

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

StuartR wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 21:44
One big difference between IMAP and POP3 is what happens when you delete a message, or move it to a different folder. If you use POP3 then these actions only affect the local copy. If you use IMAP then the message is deleted (or moved) on the server as well as on your PC.
Yes, that's what I learned when I first started using IMAP 😹 I was very confused at the time.
I try to stay away from IMAP, it's good both are supported and I can't stand it when a host says IMAP should be used. Crazy. It also takes a lot of space to keep it all on the server which they then bill you later, as I found out, since they 'generously' allow for a massive storing space which is bigger than the account you pay for. So, in short: I prefer POP3.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

LineLaline wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 11:45
I try to stay away from IMAP, it's good both are supported and I can't stand it when a host says IMAP should be used. Crazy. It also takes a lot of space to keep it all on the server which they then bill you later, as I found out, since they 'generously' allow for a massive storing space which is bigger than the account you pay for. So, in short: I prefer POP3.
Scenario - you lose the PC/Laptop where your mail client is installed.

POP3 worst case: You lose all emails
IMAP worst case: You lose nothing.

POP3 best case: You restore from a backup and/or recover undeleted incoming (only) emails from your server.
IMAP best case: See IMAP worst case.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
Leif

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Leif wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:30
POP3 worst case: You lose all emails
IMAP worst case: You lose nothing.

POP3 best case: You restore from a backup and/or recover undeleted incoming (only) emails from your server.
IMAP best case: See IMAP worst case.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
I have regular .PST backups, so that helps! 😊

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I also use POP3 but I have multiple backups in different places
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I 'got converted' to IMAP a few years ago because it was much easier for me using multiple devices. I mostly either delete or move emails to local folders on pc T'bird if they don't need to be accessed elsewhere.
It's the flexibility and email security that convinced me.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.