Alphabetizing Outlook’s Personal Folders

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Alphabetizing Outlook’s Personal Folders

Post by hlewton »

In Outlook it used to be when I created a new folder under Personal Folders it automatically placed itself alphabetically in the list of the existing folders. Lately it is not doing that, and I have to move it to where it belongs in the list. Is there some setting to make it automatically place a new folder alphabetically in the list of existing folders?

If I’m not clear, I will attach a screenshot of what I am talking about. The folder named “Test” should have placed itself way down the list. There were the exceptions of the folders that Outlook created on its own like, Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, and Deleted Items but the other folder I created always placed themselves where they belonged. They no longer do that. Again, is there a setting to restore that function?

Thanks.
Folders.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Re: Alphabetizing Outlook’s Personal Folders

Post by Leif »

Did you have your 'Inbox' selected when you added the new folder? It doesn't look like it is a sub-folder of it.

Can you drag the new folder into the Inbox, where it should be in the correct alphabetical position?
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 13:39
Did you have your 'Inbox' selected when you added the new folder? It doesn't look like it is a sub-folder of it.

Can you drag the new folder into the Inbox, where it should be in the correct alphabetical position?
Thank you for the reply. No I had Personal Folders selected when I created that folder. I deleted the Test folder you see in the first attachment above and recreated it as seen in the attachment below with Inbox selected when creating the Test folder. It too did not place the new folder alphabetically.

Yes I can drag the folder and place it in my list of folders alphabetically where it belongs but I didn't used to have to place it manually. I believe something changed in Outlook or maybe a setting went wrong with one of MS's updates.
Folders2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I think I found the answer but don't really like it since I believe it would also affect the Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, and Deleted Items folders. Anyway here is what I found Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, and Deleted Items. https://windowsreport.com/outlook-folde ... habetical/
Regards,
hlewton