Outlook cannot cannot sign or encrypt message because there are no certificates which can be used

jmt356
SilverLounger

Outlook cannot cannot sign or encrypt message because there are no certificates which can be used

Post by jmt356 »

When I try to send an email from Gmail to a particular institutional email address, I get an error that states:

Microsoft Outlook cannot cannot sign or encrypt this message because there are no certificates which can be used to send from the email address ‘xxxx@gmail.com’. Either get a new digital ID to use with this account or or use the Accounts button to send the message using an account that you have certificates for.

I do not know how to get a new digital ID for my account, so I click on Change Security Settings and untick Add digital signature to this message.

Is it possible to cause the Change Security Settings and untick Add digital signature to this message to remain unticked by default so that I do not have to untick it each time I am sending an email to the email address in question?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Outlook cannot cannot sign or encrypt message because there are no certificates which can be used

Post by StuartR »

How are you sending these emails? I think Outlook might be doing that because you are replying to a digitally signed email.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Outlook cannot cannot sign or encrypt message because there are no certificates which can be used

Post by jmt356 »

When I receive the email from the email address in question, I enter alt + l to reply to all. I have been replying to these emails from some time without an issue. This dialogue only starting popping up a few weeks ago. I think it might be due to an Outlook upgrade.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

One option being presented to me is to " get a new digital ID to use with this account." Can this be done with a Gmail account?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I suspect that the person you are replying to has recently started signing their emails.
You could buy a digital certificate to enable you to sign emails, but it's probably not worth it.

Here's an example of low cost email signing certificates for you, but I wouldn't bother.
https://cheapsslsecurity.com/p/where-to ... ble-price/
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Can't I keep "Add digital signature to this message" unticked by default every time I send an email?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Here's a quote from Microsoft on the topic.
Microsoft Agent wrote: Changing the way to reply to an email with digitally signed email message is not available. It is by design that you also need to reply them in the same option for them to know that you are a legit sender.
StuartR