Add-on crashed

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Add-on crashed

Post by Gloria E »

I was notified that an add-on had crashed using Google Chrome. The add-on is Adobe Flash Player which is built-in to the browser.

How do you handle a situation like this? :scratch:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Add-on crashed

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I read the article at TechLogon.com. I may have been the cause of the crash because I did install Shockwave Flash for Chrome and Firefox.
I understand that no updates of flash are required for Chrome, but I was not aware of that fact until I read the article you referred to. Iwill attempt to fix it using the suggested methods.

The article did convince me to install Update Checker, but that's for another post.

Thank you for the link Hans,

Gloria
Last edited by Gloria E on 29 Nov 2011, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The article provides several suggestions for fixing the crash.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Did you CAREFULLY check and follow the instructions in that article on "How to fix it?"
There are a number of steps to look at and complete in order to "fix" it.

You really should settle on one browser and stick to it. Too many browsers spoil the stew. :groan: :boxedin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:... Too many browsers spoil the stew.
Not sure I agree with ya there, Bob. I have (of course) IE; Firefox is my main browser; but I also have Chrome AND Opera installed for isolated needs, such as running Google maps. Chrome is best for that purpose for obvious reasons.

Like the article referenced by Hans, I have two instances in Chrome of Flash. BUT, because I did NOT manually install Flash in Chrome, I don't have a crashing problem like Gloria does. The only reason is that I read somewhere that Chrome updates its addons automatically. In spite of the two instances, when I run the Adobe "check my version" page, I get the correct one and NO crashing.

So, I think it's a matter of following instructions and doing only what's necessary.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I used to have several web sites that I maintained. To be sure they would me visible the way I wanted, I ran IE, Fx, Opera and later Chrome. How else would one verify his HTML, etc?

Nowadays, I run only IE (because Microsofat insists that I must for some things) and Fx with the latter being my every day user.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:Did you CAREFULLY check and follow the instructions in that article on "How to fix it?"
There are a number of steps to look at and complete in order to "fix" it.

You really should settle on one browser and stick to it. Too many browsers spoil the stew. :groan: :boxedin:
Yes Viking, I saved the article to my desktop and also printed the instructions. Today, while rested and fully awake, I followed the printed instructions and in the about:plugins in Chrome I found one instance of the plug-in for Flash. Perhaps I was mistaken when I thought I'd installed another one. The information about Flash is below.

Flash - version:11.1.102.55 and the location of that version. The File Extension: swf.

So why Flash crashed I will never understand. It's been a couple of days since I got that notice, it has not appeared again. I'll wait to see if it happens again and then take further action.

I thank everyone who assisted me,

Gloria E

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

BobH wrote:I used to have several web sites that I maintained. To be sure they would me visible the way I wanted, I ran IE, Fx, Opera and later Chrome. How else would one verify his HTML, etc?

Nowadays, I run only IE (because Microsofat insists that I must for some things) and Fx with the latter being my every day user.
Having a number of browsers is important for a web developer, and I also don't think anyone should be restricted to one browser. It's useful to have two (or three): sometimes one misbehaves or runs slowly, and sometimes specific sites or content perform better in one browser.

Personally, I'm a FireFox man :smile: but IE is available (and necessary :groan: ). I tried one recently called Ace Explorer which was supposed to be very fast, but I couldn't tell that it was significantly faster. But having a number of different browsers available should not create any issues.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.