Case-sensitive file names ?

Becks
2StarLounger

Case-sensitive file names ?

Post by Becks »

I am webmaster of a site for our local swimming club. When using Chrome and IE (version 9), it has suddenly started giving errors, of the type 'file not found'. I think it is because some of the files are referenced but without the EXACT filename, including all case elements. Have I missed something like a change of rules? Has anyone else encountered this behaviour? Is my computer just misbehaving?

(as an example, from the left menu navigae to personal bests, then attempt to select 200m backstroke times - for me, it fails from left menu but succeeds from top hyperlink. The target page is spelt Backstoke200m.html)

Regards
Kevin

HansV
Administrator

Re: Case-sensitive file names ?

Post by HansV »

Many web servers run on Linux, a variant of Unix. The Unix file system is case sensitive, unlike Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

Thanks Hans, It had crossed my mind that someone else was to blame :grin:. A right royal pain that I have to review every page to ensure the filenames have a uniform appearance

Regards
Kevin

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HTML and HTML5 are not case-sensitive. CSS is not case-sensitive, but font-families, urls to images, can be if used with an XHTML/XML DOCTYPE.

JavaScript is case-sensitive, although some browser's interpreters are occasionally a bit lax/tolerant in this regard. But then, if JS expressions are used to modify HTML or CSS then these expressions will, most likely, not be sensitive to case.

So I find it best to always assume case-sensitivity - or, at least, case-consistency - espcially for file names and locations.

Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I don't know if this is a symptom of your original problem, but when I visit your site and follow the "Personal Bests" link I get the following:
Tuart.JPG
Don't think the "OOPS!" is the desired result. I'm using Firefox 7.0.1 on a Win 7 computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

Thanks Paul,
That's certainly the end product of my issues. I'm partially relieved that it's not just me.
The upper left graphic had src="./Graphics/newlogo.gif" where it should have been src="./graphics/newlogo.gif" while the top right graphic had src="./graphics/top.gif" instead of src="./graphics/Top.gif" :cry:

I plan to write a macro to read every html file and check href and src for case-sensitive spelling

Regards
Kevin