Duck Duck Go (DDG)

silverback
5StarLounger

Duck Duck Go (DDG)

Post by silverback »

I've installed DDG but it insists on starting up when I start the PC. I can't find a setting to switch this off. Is it possible, please?
Thanks
Silverback

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Duck Duck Go (DDG)

Post by StuartR »

Is this the Web browser or an extension for other browsers? I use both and have not seen this issue.
StuartR

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Stuart
It's the web browser, although when I look at Task Manager there are many entries for Microsoft Edge (DDG says it uses Edge technology).
Silverback

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

In Task Manager, click the Startup tab at the top, and look through the list of programs. If DuckDuckGo is there, select it and click the Disable button.

There are a number of places in Windows that could cause a program to start at boot time, ranging from a variety of "Startup" folders to registry entries to Task Scheduler items. They should all be collected in the Task Manager list. If you don't find it there, download the AutoRuns program from SysInternals, https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... s/autoruns.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Thanks, both. I've tried Jay's suggestions, but it's still starting.
I've decided to live with it. :bananas: :smile:
Silverback

chikara
NewLounger

Post by chikara »

I like DDG as a search engine, but I don't like that it starts up automatically when I boot my PC. I think this is an unnecessary feature that wastes resources and slows down my system. I searched for a way to disable this, but I couldn't find any option in the settings. I hope the developers will add this feature in the future, or at least make it more clear how to turn it off. Otherwise, I might switch to another browser that respects my preferences. DDG is great, but it shouldn't force itself on me.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have DDG bookmarked in my Firefox. It doesn't appear until I summon it. I do keep an onscreen link to the bookmark to make it easy to access.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use the DDG browser as my default browser. It doesn't start running till I click a link
StuartR