Stopping a google ad popping up (Opera)

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Stopping a google ad popping up (Opera)

Post by IanWilson »

There is a site here http://www.contrapunctus.yoyo.pl/rcc/I wanted to go to in order to get an image of a CD cover, and on the page at that link there is a whole list of CDs by the singer Rogers Covey-Crump. But after reading the page for a few seconds an advert pops up and obscures some of what I am trying to look at, like this. I particular, you can't see any of the CD cover images which are on the left, under the advert.
Site pop-up.jpg
In Firefox, Ad block plus seems to stop the offending ad from coming up, but I am having difficulty stopping it in Opera, which is my default browser. I have edited the site preferences to "block all pop-ups, but it doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions for what setting I need to change to deal with this would be appreciated.

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Stopping a google ad popping up (Opera)

Post by jonwallace »

When I try to navigate to the page you link, Trend Micro OfficeScan (that we use here in the NHS) tells me that "The URL that you are attempting to access is a potential security risk. Trend Micro OfficeScan has blocked this URL in keeping with network security policy."

Perhaps a new place for CD covers is indicated? This would also solve your popup problem :laugh:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

In the upper right hand corner of the page/window (it scrolls with you) there is a red ^. Click on that to make the ad "roll up"

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jonwallace wrote:When I try to navigate to the page you link, Trend Micro OfficeScan (that we use here in the NHS) tells me that "The URL that you are attempting to access is a potential security risk. Trend Micro OfficeScan has blocked this URL in keeping with network security policy."

Perhaps a new place for CD covers is indicated? This would also solve your popup problem :laugh:
I only ended up there because I was searching for an image of a particular CD cover and that was where Google found it!

Thanks.

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

mbarron wrote:In the upper right hand corner of the page/window (it scrolls with you) there is a red ^. Click on that to make the ad "roll up"
So there is! I couldn't have translated the Polish tooltip!

And now, going to the page, I don't get the pop-up anyway. I had previously tried refreshing the page, and closing the tab, after I had set the preferences for that page to allow no pop-ups, but perhaps it needed me to completely close and re-open Opera for it to take effect.

Thanks.

Ian

asoio
NewLounger

Post by asoio »

I'm very sorry for this, perhaps I'll move the website to a paid ad-free server (now it's free, but when I started there were no ads at all!). Regards from Poland :)

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

asoio wrote:I'm very sorry for this, perhaps I'll move the website to a paid ad-free server (now it's free, but when I started there were no ads at all!). Regards from Poland :)
Hey, it's a good resource, thanks. And what a great voice the guy has.

Ian