Copy & Paste issue

colmac
StarLounger

Copy & Paste issue

Post by colmac »

I have absolutely no idea if this is the right forum to raise this question, but here goes.

Frequently when reading an article on the internet (using Edge), I will discover a word or phrase that I want to know more about. I therefore select the text in the article and using CTRL+C and CTRL+V paste it into a new browser window to search. I know there are other ways to do this, but this method suits me.

When looking at one particular newspaper site (http://www.scotsman.com) here in the UK however I have noticed a strange problem. If for example I select a word(s) or phrase taken at random from an article as follows
maintenance engineer

... then what is pasted in the new window is ...

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-4383957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This link is a reference back to the page where the original phrase appeared, and which I have just cut and pasted from.

A couple more examples (the last one from one of todays articles)
net reduction

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/business/compan ... -1-4486518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edinburgh-based RBS, which is still 72 per cent owned by the taxpayer

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/business/compan ... -1-4486518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In fact the URLS are not posted as links, but as basic text, however it seems that the forum software is forcing them to display as links in this post.

The way the paste is created defeats the whole point of the exercise and is particularly frustrating. I then have to manually delete all the "extra" text before undertaking the actual search.

So far, I have not spotted this behaviour on any other web site. I have noticed that it occurs in Chrome as well as Edge.

Does anyone know of a way to ensure that I paste just the words selected?

Many thanks

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Copy & Paste issue

Post by Rudi »

Hi Colmac,

I moved this thread to the "Other Browsers" forum as it is more to do with browsers than Windows.

I must admit that I cannot simulate this behaviour (I'm using Chrome) on this site? However, since it seems to be happening for only this site (currently) it might be the way the site is set up with what seems to be called "Automated Link Attribution". Its coding in the base page that adds a reference to the source page when you copy and paste. I could be wrong, but the result of this Automated Link Attribution seems to create this "Read More:" suffix to the copied text. See this page for more detail...though it is more to do with the actual feature that does this....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does Edge have an option "Search with Google" or similar in the right-click menu? (Most browsers have such a feature)
If so, that would be an easy alternative.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I just came across this page that is doing (in Chrome) what you mentioned in your OP above. If one opens any article and copies text, then pastes into the address bar on a new tab (or into an email), it adds the "Read more" and a link to the source page. This is IMHO a setting in the page design.

BTW: I know you said you prefer copy and paste, but it seems if you right click on the selected text and (assuming that Edge has the option) in the context menu choose: Search Google for "...." , this seems to work well.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It is done in JavaScript. The copy function is intercepted and the extra text is added to the text on the clipboard...
Best wishes,
Hans

colmac
StarLounger

Post by colmac »

Glad you were able to decide which forum this should be in.

As usual, great help very promptly given. It really is much appreciated. Thanks

I'm glad you could see it happening, although it looks like I'm stuck with it then unless I can disable the JavaScript. I think the potential for abusing this could be huge

Thanks again

Colin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This use of JavaScript is an annoyance, but at least it's visible. Malicious sites could use JavaScript for much more dangerous sneaky stuff...
Best wishes,
Hans

colmac
StarLounger

Post by colmac »

Yes that is precisely what worries me about this topic

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't visit shady sites. :grin:

If you use Firefox, you can install the free NoScript add-in which lets you decide on a site-by-site basis on which sites you allow JavaScript to run; you can assign do so both temporarily and permanently.

There are some extensions for Chrome with similar functionality, for example ScriptSafe.
Best wishes,
Hans