Chrome...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Chrome...

Post by Hey Jude »

TonyE wrote:
I believe if you use the Google Pack to install Chrome then it does install in the Program Files directory, though I have not tried this.
Yes, it goes into the Program File directory as I have just confirmed by installing ONLY the browser--not toolbar or any of the other components which I had to de-select--thru Google Pack. So thanks TonyE. I wasn't aware of this issue so now it's resolved :thumbup:

MikeS I have one of the home pages set to Google search and one set to Eileen's lounge so it's all cool now :groovin:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Hey Jude wrote:
TonyE wrote: I believe if you use the Google Pack to install Chrome then it does install in the Program Files directory, though I have not tried this.
Yes, it goes into the Program File directory as I have just confirmed by installing ONLY the browser--not toolbar or any of the other components--thru Google Pack.
Thanks for posting that, I may re-install Chrome again at some point. What version of Chrome does the Google Pack install, I'm guessing it will be version 3.
Tony

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

TonyE wrote: Thanks for posting that, I may re-install Chrome again at some point. What version of Chrome does the Google Pack install, I'm guessing it will be version 3.
3.0.195.21 but 4.0 is out now
Google Chrome 4.0    

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Hey Jude wrote:
TonyE wrote: Thanks for posting that, I may re-install Chrome again at some point. What version of Chrome does the Google Pack install, I'm guessing it will be version 3.
3.0.195.21 but 4.0 is out now
Google Chrome 4.0    
Does 3.x allow extensions? I'm currently using the latest beta version - Chrome 4.0.249.78, and while I'd prefer having the program installed in with my other programs, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the extensions I've been using since moving to 4.0.
Samantha

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Samantha wrote:Does 3.x allow extensions? I'm currently using the latest beta version - Chrome 4.0.249.78, and while I'd prefer having the program installed in with my other programs, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the extensions I've been using since moving to 4.0.
I installed version 3 using the Google Pack and when I started Chrome it informed me an update was available and installed 4.0.249.78
Tony

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

TonyE wrote:I installed version 3 using the Google Pack and when I started Chrome it informed me an update was available and installed 4.0.249.78
And did version 4 stay in the Programs folder?
Samantha

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Samantha wrote:
TonyE wrote:I installed version 3 using the Google Pack and when I started Chrome it informed me an update was available and installed 4.0.249.78
Yes, the only thing in the application data directory is the profile.
Tony

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Samantha wrote:
I'm installing it now and will see. I got sidetracked by installing that PDF giveaway on my other laptops.

MikeS
Lounger

Post by MikeS »

"and while I'd prefer having the program installed in with my other programs, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the extensions I've been using since moving to 4.0."

My sentiments exactly. I'm setup just the way I like it. Program location is something I can live with.
Mike

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

MikeS wrote:"and while I'd prefer having the program installed in with my other programs, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the extensions I've been using since moving to 4.0."

My sentiments exactly. I'm setup just the way I like it. Program location is something I can live with.
I have 4.0.249.78 (36714) now. [I see TonyE already posted this :yep: ]

What extensions do you use Mike? I never added any.

MikeS
Lounger

Post by MikeS »

Hey Jude wrote:
MikeS wrote:"and while I'd prefer having the program installed in with my other programs, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the extensions I've been using since moving to 4.0."

I have 4.0.249.78 (36714) now. [I see TonyE already posted this :yep: ]

What extensions do you use Mike? I never added any.
I use the AdBlock and Gmail extensions, and I love em both! The adblocker works real well. :clapping: The only thing was, I had to d/load the button seperate if I wanted it to show on the browser (which I do-neat options). You'd think they'd include it in the original d/load and make the button showing an option in settings. Anyway, It should give you the option of installing the button when you install the adblocker extension.
Mike

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I basically use Chrome as my bare bones browser so will check out the Gmail ext. but otherwise I figured that was one of the reasons it was so fast :evilgrin: Thanks :chocciebar:

MikeS
Lounger

Post by MikeS »

Hey Jude wrote:I basically use Chrome as my bare bones browser so will check out the Gmail ext. but otherwise I figured that was one of the reasons it was so fast :evilgrin: Thanks :chocciebar:
You just gave me an idea. I have to go get organized. Oh, and I seem to remember 4 band members in the Beatles... :smile:
Mike

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

Maybe I'll give Chrome a try myself. I've been holding off because I love FF so much. I didn't know Chrome had extensions.

At the office I still have IE as the default browser for my users because there's a couple websites they use all the time that don't play nice with FF. I have FF on their computers if they want to use it for other things, but I'd sure like to get them all only using one browser and it to not be IE.
Daisy

MikeS
Lounger

Post by MikeS »

Ailios wrote:Maybe I'll give Chrome a try myself. I've been holding off because I love FF so much. I didn't know Chrome had extensions.

At the office I still have IE as the default browser for my users because there's a couple websites they use all the time that don't play nice with FF. I have FF on their computers if they want to use it for other things, but I'd sure like to get them all only using one browser and it to not be IE.
I don't want to sound like a salesman for Google here, but you should give it a try. It's blazing fast. The only problem I have with it is it doesn't always render everything "properly".
Mike

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

MikeS wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:I basically use Chrome as my bare bones browser so will check out the Gmail ext. but otherwise I figured that was one of the reasons it was so fast :evilgrin: Thanks :chocciebar:
You just gave me an idea. I have to go get organized. Oh, and I seem to remember 4 band members in the Beatles... :smile:
I gave you an idea :fanfare: :clapping: :grin:

MikeS
Lounger

Post by MikeS »

Where's your fourth Beatle! lol
Mike

MikeS
Lounger

Post by MikeS »

An interesting 3rd party article regarding Chrome: http://arstechnica.com/open-source/revi ... rrives.ars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

MikeS wrote:Where's your fourth Beatle! lol
The smilies were just singers, but YOU gave ME an idea so am trying to figure out how to add a beatle avatar which I can do as attachment, but am looking for a website with one to add instead. Thanks. Hans has given samples under the Musicality thread. I'm spending way too much time on this lol

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:Pity it seems to choke on displaying my (FULLY COMPLIANT!!) website properly.
Haven't found a proper workaround yet.
Chrome 1 failed (ie incorrectly rendered and lost some data as a result) on a rather critical website. I haven't tried since.