Windows 10 Mail

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows 10 Mail

Post by RonH »

As a 'new user' of Windows 10 I am impressed. But I still have joy from some of my old habits ... should I change, in particular from WLM 2011 to the new Windows mail? From what I have read, it seems that presently you cannot create new 'Storage Folders' which I heavily rely upon and on a monthly basis I copy all my mail/folders to an ext HD for back up. My WLM includes my POP3 account, Gmail and Outlook.com.

There is recent comment about WLM on the web which suggests to me that I should consider a change. If I use Windows 10 Mail, can I create 'folders' on my pc and simply drag/drop a copy of mails that I wish to categorize and retain? Or should I update to WLM 2012 which seems to be supported in the foreseeable future ... I have not updated to 2012 because this likely will require me to redo all my folders.

For me WLM 2011 works just brilliantly but I have to look forward and would appreciate advice from members who have moved to the new mail system.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 Mail

Post by HansV »

I don't use Windows 10 Mail myself, so I can't comment on whether it's preferable to Windows Live Mail.

But if I read How To: Manage Email Folders in the Windows 10 Mail App correctly, you can view existing mail folders in Windows 10 Mail, but not create new ones.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hello Hans. Yes I also read that yesterday but 'doubt' sometimes what the message really means!
In the meantime I decided to seek comment from Microsoft with the following result:

1. Windows 10 Mail is not suitable because you cannot create your own personalized Storage Folders ... is this correct?
The answers to your quest shall be yes, there is no option to create new folders in Windows 10 Mail app.

2. Can you copy Windows 10 Mail emails to storage on an external hard drive?
There is no option available in Windows 10 Mail to store Emails on external hard drive.

3. Will I lose all my settings with regard to Storage Folders if I update to WLM 2012?
You may export all the folders of Windows Live Mail 2011 and update to Windows Live Mail 2012. Now, you may try to import all the folders in Windows Live Mail 2012 and check.

As you are not facing any issue with Windows Live Mail 2011 and still want to continue using it. I would like to inform you that, Windows Live Essentials 2009 and 2011 are not supported any more, and you will need to update to Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 and use the Mail app, or use http://www.outlook.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Since I had informed them that I was now using WLM 2011 on W10 and that I also have an Outlook.com address (plus two others, non-Outlook) I have to presume that what they really mean is that its 'take it or leave it'; it won't be any good for Outlook.com mail but will work for other non Outlook mail? We shall see. With regards to updating to WLM 2012 and keeping the Storage Folders (where I retain all non active emails that I need) they use the words try to import which really builds confidence! Of cause I can rebuild all my folders into WLM 2012 and then copy across all my folder emails from where I save them ... but its a big job! I guess all I can do is to use WLM 2011 whilst it works!

As for Window 10 Mail, the fact that you cannot simple drag email copies to other folders is a real big negative. I often do this to retain a copy where other associated, non-email correspondence is stored. Hey, its supposed to be a developing product so maybe one day it will do what users want! I really like WLM :clapping:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Clarification just now from Microsoft for those who may be interested ...
As you are using Windows Live Mail 2011 on Windows 10, I would like to inform you that there shall be no issue in using Windows Live Mail 2011 on Windows 10. However, few feature might not work properly in Windows Live Mail 2011 as Microsoft shall stop supporting Windows Essentials 2011. I recommend you to update your Windows Live Mail 2011 to Windows Live Mail 2012 for using all the features.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.