µBlock... Finally, an efficient blocker!

Rudi
gamma jay

µBlock... Finally, an efficient blocker!

Post by Rudi »

Though this article is aimed at FireFox, it is also available for Chrome
For anyone who uses ad blocking add-ons in Firefox, boy! Have I got great news for you…

AdBlock Plus (ABP) is the go-to ad blocking solution that every Firefox user seems to swear by. The downside of this very good add-on is that it slows down your browsing experience and uses a whole lot of memory in the process. I’ve been a stalwart user of this add-on for many years but I have recently made a change. It is a browsing life-changer.

µBlock is more than a simple ad blocker. It accomplishes exactly the same thing as ABP with some useful and interesting differences. Here is what the developers have to say:

µBlock is not an ad blocker; it’s a general-purpose blocker. µBlock blocks ads through its support of the Adblock Plus filter syntax. µBlock extends the syntax and is designed to work with custom rules and filters.
µBlock in the Chrome Store
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: µBlock... Finally, an efficient blocker!

Post by John Gray »

I've put this onto Firefox, having uninstalled Adblock Plus, and µBlock removes the fairly-recently-encountered 'drop down' adverts which Adblock Plus lets through.

So on that basis, on two websites, I'm happier with µBlock!

Thanks, Rudi!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I've also recently substituted from ABP to uBlock and I although I am simply using the defaults of it, it is working well and as advertised, it seems Chrome is a bit faster... :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

They might think about the problem of performing a search for "µBlock" - who knows how to generate a µ character in a browser?!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.