Opera 10.51, Flash and YouTube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Opera 10.51, Flash and YouTube

Post by IanWilson »

On YouTube now there is a facility to watch some recent TV shows and two days ago, I successfully did so, using Opera 10.51. (I have a YouTube account and I was signed in.)

Today, I can't get this to work and when I go to the episode I want to see I get a message suggesting that I need an updated version of Flash.
Old flash.jpg
I have clicked the Go Upgrade link (to the Adobe site), apparently installed the latest version, restarted the computer etc, but I still get the same message.

But at the same time, I can watch the programme concerned perfectly well using Firefox.
YouTube Elizabeth I.jpg
I have tried setting Opera to Identify as Firefox and to masquerade as Firefox, but it makes no difference.

(Also, strangely, if I go to customise my YouTube homepage, some elements that are available to choose in Opera, such as "Catch Up on the latest TV" are not shown as options in the same page in Firefox!)

The only thing that I can think of that has changed since I successfully watched a show two days ago in Opera is the monthly collection of Windows updates installed yesterday, but I am not sure why that would make a difference to one browser and not to the other.)

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Opera 10.51, Flash and YouTube

Post by HansV »

Lots of reports of problems with Flash in Opera 10.51 - see Opera 10.51 for some proposed workarounds/solutions.
Best wishes,
Hans

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

HansV wrote:Lots of reports of problems with Flash in Opera 10.51 - see Opera 10.51 for some proposed workarounds/solutions.
Thanks for that link, Hans. I tried the suggestion there of just using the check for updates, and although it reported that I have the latest version of Opera already, it cleared the problem.

Ian

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

IanWilson wrote: Thanks for that link, Hans. I tried the suggestion there of just using the check for updates, and although it reported that I have the latest version of Opera already, it cleared the problem.

Ian
Using the "check for updates" option refreshes the browser.js file that Opera uses to patch sites that it knows are problematic (and that can be patched with a local javascript). This is why YouTube is now working. Nosy people (like me) can open the browser.js file in a text editor and have a quick shufty at those sites which are fixed.

Theoretically, Opera checks for updates to both the program and browser.js once a week or so, but I usually do it manually to be on the safe side.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

jonwallace wrote: Using the "check for updates" option refreshes the browser.js file that Opera uses to patch sites that it knows are problematic (and that can be patched with a local javascript). This is why YouTube is now working. Nosy people (like me) can open the browser.js file in a text editor and have a quick shufty at those sites which are fixed.

Theoretically, Opera checks for updates to both the program and browser.js once a week or so, but I usually do it manually to be on the safe side.
Thanks for the information, John. Perhaps I'll have a look at the file myself tomorrow.

Ian