A question about cookies

silverback
5StarLounger

A question about cookies

Post by silverback »

OK - I know this is sad, but I am hooked on the game of Lemmings and am stuck on a particular level.
The website in question stores a cookie but it's only a session cookie. This means if the PC is switched off, it loses where I am, and the only way to get back to the level I'm stuck on is to redo all the previous levels. This is Not Good.
I'm only managing at the moment by hibernating the PC; I live in fear that someone will switch it off properly!
I've now installed some critical Microsofot fixes which require a restart - which I don't want to do for the stated reason.

Is there anything that can be done to a session cookie to make it 'stick' over a PC restart?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: A question about cookies

Post by HansV »

I can't guarantee that this will work, but I read that Firefox will keep session cookies if you set it to restore tabs from the previous session when you open it.
S00045.png
Don't close the Lemmings tab, but quit Firefox instead, so that it "remembers" the tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hi, Hans
Didn't work, but never mind. I had to close the browser down soon anyway, because memory was getting clogged up as the PC had not been fully switched off for a long time.

Thanks for trying
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry! Good luck with leveling your way up again...
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

. . .but it's made me think about how Firefox is working anyway.
I set the parameter as you suggested, then went to Eileen's lounge; this definitely stores a permanent cookie on the PC, yes?
Quit Firefox by clicking the red X in the top right corner.
On starting Firefox again, it opened with the specified home page; I tried clearing this and repeating the test, but it then opened on a Mozilla page.

So, although I've set the parameter to "Show my windows and tabs from last time", this option seems to be being ignored.
Is there something else I need to do, please?

I'm on Firefox 11.0, Windows XP Professional SP3.

Thanks
Silverback
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hello, it's started working! If I go to a webpage, quit Firefox and open it again, it goes to the last webpage I was on.

When I tried your solution, I was on Firefox 10.0.2
Then Firefox upgraded to 11.0

Do you think this is what's started it working?

Silverback
(Pity this didn't happen when I was on level 7. Still, I should know how to solve the previous 6 levels now!)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Make sure that you have selected "Remember History" in the Privacy tab. If you set Firefox to delete history on exit, it won't be able to restore the tabs that you had open.
Best wishes,
Hans