Update: Firefox 11 released

HansV
Administrator

Update: Firefox 11 released

Post by HansV »

You can get the new version by selecting Firefox > Help > About Firefox or from http://www.mozilla.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
No spectacular changes or additions (see Release Notes).
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Update: Firefox 11 released

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:You can get the new version by selecting Firefox > Help > About Firefox or from http://www.mozilla.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
No spectacular changes or additions (see [http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/11.0/releasenotes/]Release Notes[/url].
Must have been a lot of people DL it just now. Got about 2 MB into the DL and it slowed to a crawl but I just let it go and seems to be fine.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

Not clear, but it seems that this update may be somewhat on hold. The following is quoted from The Register article Microsoft warns of RDP attack within next 30 days:
The release caused some problems for Mozilla, which had also been planning an update. It said that the issue it was concerned about in Microsoft's patches turned out to be something Mozilla had already fixed, but that it was only making updates available manually for the time being as a precaution.

'"In order to understand the impacts of Microsoft’s “Patch Tuesday” fixes, we will initially release Firefox for manual updates only. Once those impacts are understood, we’ll push automatic updates out to all of our users," said Johnathan Nightingale, senior director of Firefox engineering on the browser's blog.
Chris
Last edited by ChrisJakarta on 14 Mar 2012, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Just clicking on Help -> About Firefox got the update downloaded and installed. Is that manual or automatic?!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:Just clicking on Help -> About Firefox got the update downloaded and installed. Is that manual or automatic?!
I'd say it's manual, since the user has to get involved by clicking in a couple of places. Whereas automatic....... :smile:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

But since the users' actions are triggered by a message on the web, it's pretty much automatic, isn't it. :grin:

"You shall click on the update button... now." :brainwash:
:laugh:
Automated humans, that's what we are most of the time. But we can disobey of course! :grin:

Difficult this; most of the time they only release major versions, and they include security fixes, but one of my banks still has to catch up on Fx 10, at least last time I had a look; but there is usually no problems; they say that some features may not function as expected.

As for spectacular changes/additions; they have not added many for some time, but they've included SPDY in Fx 11, as mentioned in the Release Notes Hans linked to; it's disabled by default.
http://www.webpronews.com/firefox-11-gets-spdy-2012-02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I got some Fx 11 beta with a Linux beta I tested earlier, and then saw some new thing, but I can't remember what it was. :grin: Perhaps should download it and have a look.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Here's another change:
Earlier Fx had four entries, two pairs, in TCPView for the loopback, localhost. Now it's only two.
2012-03-16_A.png
And another one:
On the update tab, in Settings, they've removed the check box for add-ons, leaving only search engines. I have not looked closer but it's probably related to changes how Fx 11 works with add-ons.

I find it to be a tiny bit quicker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.