Can't log in with Firefox

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Can't log in with Firefox

Post by Dave Davison »

Suddenly, can't log in with firefox but can with IE, any suggestions as to how to rectify this please? Not keen on uninstalling existing version then adding the latest as all my Favorites will vanish in the process. :scratch: Thanks Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Can't log in with Firefox

Post by StuartR »

You could try deleting all your cookies and all your internet history. Make sure you know your passwords for any other sites where you need to log in before you do this.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Dave Davison wrote:Suddenly, can't log in with firefox but can with IE, any suggestions as to how to rectify this please? Not keen on uninstalling existing version then adding the latest as all my Favorites will vanish in the process. :scratch: Thanks Dave.
Before doing the cookies trick, the first thing I usually try when Fx misbehaves is empty the cache. It almost always fixes small problems.

(I close Fx and use Windows Explorer to go to the cache folder and delete all the files. I have a shortcut on my desktop to make that a two-click operation.)

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the info, I just clicked on the Firefox icon in my Start menu and got access to the net so it seems there may have been some fault out in cyberspace rather than with my computer. In the event that it occurs again Al, seeing my grasp of all things I.T. falls far short of yours, where do I locate the cache folder in order to delete it's contents and would right clicking the said folder give me access to the menu with the option to send it to my desktop? Thanks a lot Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Your FF cache is in a folder called, err, 'cache' that will be within your FF profile. This page explains where you can find your FF profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Unless you are confident that you understand what you are doing I wouldn't change the location of the FF cache and I certainly wouldn't move it to your desktop. However, you could create a shortcut to it on your desktop so it is easy to find and thus empty by manually but I wouldn't do that either.

I would (and do) use Ccleaner. This not only cleans the FF cache it will clean up your IE temp internet files as well plus a load of other stuff. In the first instance simply use it on it's default settings, don't go ticking every box it offers! :grin: Except... Select 'Options' and then Cookies' and select those you want to keep,e.g. for Eileen's Lounge and any other website that you regularly visit.

Also, unless you are confident you understand what you are doing, don't use Ccleaner's 'Registry' feature.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Follow Ken's instructions, Dave, and please do create a SHORTCUT on the desktop! Don't try to relocate the cache folder.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

THANKS as ever I very much appreciate the advice about not dabbling with things that are best left alone, I do have CCleaner & have used it frequently without any ill effects so will continue to rely on that for cleaning out unwanted stuff. Regards Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Returning to your original post, about not being able to login using FF when you could with IE...

Something like that has happened to me a couple of times. In each case I've been able to fix the problem by explicitly deleting all the cookies for The Lounge as follows:
In FF click Tools | Options and select the Privacy tab
In that dialog click on the 'Show Cookies' button
In that dialog find and select the cookies to remove and click on the Remove' button
Once you've done that click Close/OK as appropriate to get out of all the dialogs.
FINALLY, close and then restart FF.

You will have to login to The Lounge again but in so doing fresh cookies will be set and all should be well again.

No, I have no idea why cookies go stale but baking fresh ones with the above recipe is quick & easy.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......thanks Ken, have read & digested the comments, whether i retain them all is another matter. Regards Dave.