Google no longer making Google Toolbar for Firefox

TonyE
3StarLounger

Google no longer making Google Toolbar for Firefox

Post by TonyE »

Google have announced that they will no longer be making versions of the Google Toolbar for Firefox. Firefox 4 is that last version of Firefox that will officially run the Google Toolbar.

Google Toolbar Help: An update on Google Toolbar for Firefox
Toolbar not available for Firefox 5 or newer versions : - Toolbar Help
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Google no longer making Google Toolbar for Firefox

Post by Bigaldoc »

It's OK with me !!! :clapping: :flee:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Great news... one less toolbar to contend with!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Unless you use the .rdf file hack, which of course, Google wouldn't mention.
It does work though!

I submitted an inquiry to Google when Fx 5 first came out and they answered yesterday with a link to the same site(s) and I thought at first, well, they do try to work with other browsers after all. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. They seem to be getting too big for their britches these days.
Another vote for Bing or Ask?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Yebbut (as CG would say) if you expose the FF Navigation TB you can still default the Search Engine to Google, so what's the big deal?
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Goshute wrote:Yebbut (as CG would say) if you expose the FF Navigation TB you can still default the Search Engine to Google, so what's the big deal?
The "big deal" with the Google Firefox Toolbar for me is that I have one-click access to Google Maps and Google Images, and (a recent requirement) Google Translate.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

In my case, I don't mind TWO clicks to get what I use a lot:
2011-07-21_074038.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

John Gray wrote:The "big deal" with the Google Firefox Toolbar for me is that I have one-click access to Google Maps and Google Images, and (a recent requirement) Google Translate.
Check out iGoogle - which gives you quick links to maps and images:
x.jpg
plus you can Add gadgets to your homepage, including:
y.jpg
(You may need a gmail account - I'm not sure.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Leif. I am trying this at the moment, but the Google Translate seems only to do text, and even the Translate Webpage doesn't seem to be able to translate the current webpage, or all the webpages, at a particular site. I would expect that a button would appear somewhere to enable this to be done?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

John Gray wrote:...but the Google Translate seems only to do text, and even the Translate Webpage doesn't seem to be able to translate the current webpage, or all the webpages, at a particular site.
Not just a few simple clicks, but:

Click on 'Google Translate' and you get this:
x.jpg
Enter the url of the site you want translated, and click on the auto-created hyperlinked outlined below:
y.jpg
Et voila!
z.jpg
It doesn't seem to handle the 'latest' headlines which is understandable as they are being constantly created. I can't guarantee it'll work for every site, but it worked with the Beeb and a couple of linked pages I clicked on within the example above.
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Yes, that is quite possible - but with the Google Toolbar (setting the translate option) I could click a button and have the website I'm currently looking at translated! You'd hope that this functionality could be included in any improvement...
John Gray

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't help but wonder, but I'm not gonna check it out, what happens to all of this in, ahem, Google Chrome? :blush:

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

John Gray wrote:...with the Google Toolbar (setting the translate option) I could click a button and have the website I'm currently looking at translated!...
The Google Dictionary and Google Translate add-on lets you translate a page by clicking a button.
Tony

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Tony! I don't see a button anywhere, but Tools -> Translate Page does the job!
(At the far right, I have buttons for ABP, Home, Virtual Keyboard and URL Advisor (the latter two from Kaspersky) with no indication of the 1-Click button for Translate Page, or evidence that there's anything hidden on the right.)
John Gray

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John, this is a look-see, just in case. I don't need Tony's addon so I don't plan to install it.

BUT, after installing my favored CopyURL, I had to go to View, Toolbars, Customize and drag its button to my toolbar. Perhaps Tony's addon requires this also.