Mozilla abandons enterprise customers

JoeP
SilverLounger

Mozilla abandons enterprise customers

Post by JoeP »

See Ed Bott - Mozilla to enterprise "Drop Dead". While the article is geared towards the enterprise customer I think it should at least give all users pause. Mozilla's stated position is that support for the prior version ceases when the new version is released. While this certainly reduces support requirements dramatically, I'd be very nervous about installing a new major release of any product every 6 weeks. Does this mean that Mozilla is effectively going ignore issues in all releases because the next one is coming so fast? Suppose you don't have any way to revert to the old version because you used the integrated update mechanism. What happens the first time there is a major show issue with a new release?

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Mozilla abandons enterprise customers

Post by Bigaldoc »

JoeP wrote:... Suppose you don't have any way to revert to the old version because you used the integrated update mechanism.
Slightly off the theme about enterprises, but I try never to use integrated update mechanisms, if possible. I like to keep at least TWO versions of a software product on hand, just in case (or if I need a re-install for some reason).

So, Mozilla is turning into another CCLEANER or FLASH PLAYER! Not something to be happy about. Usually it's the other way around - they care about the "big guys" and the individual user is SOL.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I too seldom use any integrated update mechanism. There are many users who do though.

For any vendor it is very easy to claim they care about one group or another. In reality, all any enterprise cares about is its own objectives. I'm not quite clear on how having a major release every 6 weeks and abandoning the prior releases benefits the end users.

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

JoeP said:
Suppose you don't have any way to revert to the old version because you used the integrated update mechanism. What happens the first time there is a major show issue with a new release?
-----------------------------------------
As I had with Fx 5 and GTB.
I was at least able to do some searching around the web and found a site that still had a true copy of version 4.01 and not just a link to Mozilla, which turned out to be only version 5. ( so I could revert using 4.01 )
I usually don't use the integrated route but this particular time, upgrading to 5, I did. My fault!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

So, you've reverted to an unsupported browser. That is fine. It is your choice. You're lucky enough to have found an older version. How many regular everyday users are going to know where to look, from which sites to download, which version to download?

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

JoeP wrote:So, you've reverted to an unsupported browser. That is fine. It is your choice. You're lucky enough to have found an older version. How many regular everyday users are going to know where to look, from which sites to download, which version to download?

Joe
I guess you didn't read my other post and or this
I reverted back to version 4.01 ONLY to clear up the clash between GTB and Firefox.
Once it was cleared, I reinstalled Fx 5, which IS a supported browser. But then again, you know that.
Luck didn't really enter in to that decision but choice did.
BOB

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

viking33 wrote: I guess you didn't read my other post and or this
I reverted back to version 4.01 ONLY to clear up the clash between GTB and Firefox.
Once it was cleared, I reinstalled Fx 5, which IS a supported browser. But then again, you know that.
No, I did not read your other posts. You reverted because of a problem that made Fx 5 unusable for you. My point is the ordinary user will have no clue about how to revert.

BTW, be prepared to upgrade again in about 5 weeks if you want to continue to run a supported browser.

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

JoeP wrote:
viking33 wrote: I guess you didn't read my other post and or this
No, I did not read your other posts. You reverted because of a problem that made Fx 5 unusable for you. My point is the ordinary user will have no clue about how to revert.

BTW, be prepared to upgrade again in about 5 weeks if you want to continue to run a supported browser.

Joe
Yes Sir!
BOB

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Am I missing something here? Can't all this be said about Google Chrome... accelerated major releases cycle and technical support for none of them?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, the situation is very similar.
Best wishes,
Hans