Firefox 5 released

TonyE
3StarLounger

Firefox 5 released

Post by TonyE »

Firefox 5 has been released available either by using the built-in update mechanism, or download from http://www.mozilla.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For details of the changes see the Firefox 5.0 release notes

With this release, Firefox 4 has reached end of life and is no longer supported. Firefox 3.6 is still supported, though not confirmed how long for it is likely to be at least for another 6 months. Firefox 3.6 was also updated, version 3.6.18 is available from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Firefox 5 released

Post by viking33 »

Downloaded the version 5 and right off the bat, there was no compatibility to the Google Toolbar or the "Open Download" add on. That's not so hot, since I use Google toolbar quite a lot. SD also gives the option to either Run or Save a download file. Hope they catch up real soon!

Edited to add: Open Download does appear to be OK. It's Plain Old Favorites that doesn't work with V 5. or Google Toolbar.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For Plain Old Favorites you need version 1.2 available from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mozilla are in talks with Google over the toolbar, so hopefully it will not be too long before an update is released.
Tony

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

I don't use the Google Toolbar so have not tested this, but version 7.1.20110512W is reported as working with Firefox 5. You can use the Add-on Compatibility Reporter add-on to enable add-ons that have been marked as incompatible
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

TonyE wrote:With this release, Firefox 4 has reached end of life and is no longer supported.
Isn't that a bit amazing? It doesn't seem like Fx 4.x has been around but for a very short time. Can't remember for sure when it was released.

I think I'll stall on this 5.x for awhile to see what happens...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Bigaldoc wrote:
TonyE wrote:With this release, Firefox 4 has reached end of life and is no longer supported.
Isn't that a bit amazing? It doesn't seem like Fx 4.x has been around but for a very short time. Can't remember for sure when it was released.

I think I'll stall on this 5.x for awhile to see what happens...
Version 4.x was not out very long. Mozilla has adopted an accelerated release schedule ala Google with Chrome.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

TonyE wrote:... You can use the Add-on Compatibility Reporter add-on to enable add-ons that have been marked as incompatible
Yeah but that's after the fact. It would be nice to know NOW which of my addons are not gonna work when I install version 5.

When version 4 came along I was upset that one of my most used addons, COPY URL, no longer worked. Fortunately I found a replacement albeit not quite as slick working as Copy URL. (The backup plan of course is that Alan Miller's javascript code from a LONG TIME AGO also still works and I have it bookmarked.)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

TonyE wrote:I don't use the Google Toolbar so have not tested this, but version 7.1.20110512W is reported as working with Firefox 5. You can use the Add-on Compatibility Reporter add-on to enable add-ons that have been marked as incompatible
Great, Tony.
That's a Beta version of GTB but it seems to work fine with Fx V 5, so far.
Even kept my old settings intact. Mucho gracias! ( or however you spell that! :thankyou:

So did ver 1.2 of Plain Old Favorites.
BOB

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Bigaldoc wrote:It would be nice to know NOW which of my addons are not gonna work when I install version 5.
I agree entirely! It surely shouldn't be difficult for the Firefox installer to determine which add-ons are installed, and thus which are not supported or need new versions. With the frequency of "new versions" of Firefox, this may well be more necessary...

Much Later...

A temporary bodge to get Google Toolbar to work under Firefox 5 is as follows (for Windows 7 - I'm sure you can find the correct location for XP!):

"The old installed version of Google Toolbar has a file named install.rdf that declares the max supported version of Firefox to be 4.0. To fix this, open the appropriate install.rdf file with Notepad and change maxVersion from 4.0.* to 6.*, and save it.

In order to find the correct install.rdf file do the following:
Go to folder : C:\Users\[your user name here]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[sometext].default and search for the install.rdf file. Windows search will find many install.rdf files (one for each addon you have installed on Firefox) so make sure that you find the install.rdf that has the line "Google Toolbar for Firefox" in it. For this install.rdf file just alter the max version as stated above, restart Firefox, and the Google toolbar will be back!"
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

An update. I was wrong. Firefox 5 is NOT accepting Google Toolbar, even using the Beta as mentioned before this.
John, I checked for the install.rdf file in both the location you mentioned AND with a system search and it could not be found in any folder? Some other .rdf files but no install.rdf.
Back to square one with the toolbar, it seems.
BOB

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Odd - I found four of them - the first one is the one I modified...
installrdf.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:Odd - I found four of them - the first one is the one I modified...
installrdf.png
Don't know exactly what's going on there but I just reverted back to Fx Ver 4.01, reinstalled GTB and I did find a install.rdf file there. I changed it to read ver 6, so now I'll go ahead and try to update Fx to v5 and see what happens.
Will post back with results. :crossfingers:
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

viking33 wrote:
John Gray wrote:Odd - I found four of them - the first one is the one I modified...
installrdf.png
Don't know exactly what's going on there but I just reverted back to Fx Ver 4.01, reinstalled GTB and I did find a install.rdf file there. I changed it to read ver 6, so now I'll go ahead and try to update Fx to v5 and see what happens.
Will post back with results. :crossfingers:
That definitely worked!
All looks normal now. Even rebooted a few times to make sure it stuck.
I also found another add on called Open Download that was reporting as not compatible with v5 and pulled the same trick with THAT .rdf file and now it's happy as a clam!
So it looks like that's a good hack to keep in mind if any others complain about the version.
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

As mentioned by Tony in a post above, and after a reminder from Chris Jakarta in my Thunderbird thread, I've downloaded and installed the Mozilla Compatibility Tester.

The first DISABLED addon I tried it for is my favorite "CopyURL" which was disabled by Fx Version 4. Behold, it still works. I had to drag its toolbar button back up using View Customize, but I've done several tests in the Test Forum and all work just fine.

I mention this now not only so others may try the compatibility tester, but I think there may be one or two of you who used the CopyURL addon in the past. The strange thing is, I was going to send the report to Moz that it still works but when I click that button, the message says that the "developer" has marked it as compatible. Hmmm... wasn't that way before and, as a matter of fact, the developer's web page is now gone. I checked when Fx V. 4.0 came out. Oh well...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.