Clear history from Firefox

adam
SilverLounger

Clear history from Firefox

Post by adam »

HI anyone,

Is there a way I could prevent my face book chat logs from being saved into my in box automatically using firefox?

Any help would be appreciated.
Best Regards,
Adam

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Clear history from Firefox

Post by Bigaldoc »

That sounds to me like a Facebook question, not Firefox. Firefox doesn't have anything to do with your Facebook chatting.

If you ARE talking about the fact that, IN FACEBOOK, when you have a "live" chat with someone it now ALSO shows up in your MESSAGES with that person, there's nothing you can do about that!

There have been MANY complaints about it since it is annoying to lots of people. (Facebook just recently made this change to its programming without (as usual) any warning!)
2011-06-06_100831.png
2011-06-06_100905.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

That's bad then. No hope at all?
Best Regards,
Adam

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Is there a way I could clear the login details of the face book only from my Mozilla Firefox browser?
Best Regards,
Adam

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, you can remove the Facebook COOKIES from Firefox and that should do it. I don't know if yours will look just like mine, but here's an example:
2011-06-10_080707.png
2011-06-10_080628.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Is it possible to remove history for a particular facebook account?
Best Regards,
Adam

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

If so, I don't know how. I have two separate Facebook accounts and in the cookie example I showed you there is no distinction between the two accounts (at least none that I know how to read).

I suppose there is an alternative: delete ALL Facebook cookies and then log on with the account that you DON'T want deleted. Sounds strange but I don't know of a more selective way. You could always write to Facebook and ask THEM this question.

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Haven't you tried the private browsing feature? I mean it does not save the browsing history for what you don't want to get included in browsing history?

I mean is there any disadvantage using that other than not saving the browsing history?
Best Regards,
Adam

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

No, I haven't tried private browsing. I'm the only user of my computer and I have no problems with my history being saved.

So, if you DO use private browsing, what is it you're trying to remove that private browsing doesn't already do for you?

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Bigaldoc wrote:No, I haven't tried private browsing. I'm the only user of my computer and I have no problems with my history being saved.

So, if you DO use private browsing, what is it you're trying to remove that private browsing doesn't already do for you?
Even I did not try private browsing before this post and even I'm the only user of my computer and I have no problems with my history being saved.

But I did try private browsing after posting my second post in this thread. With private browsing it does not save the browsing history and account information.

Suppose you log into an account like face book; it does not show the login information you entered previously at your next visit which is quite easy to handle in shared environments.

This is what I was referring.

What I want to ask now is whether would there be any way; another user can check the websites that is being visited through private browsing?
Best Regards,
Adam

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

adam wrote:...What I want to ask now is whether would there be any way; another user can check the websites that is being visited through private browsing?
It may be possible, depending on who wants to know, and how hard they are prepared to work to find out.

They could fit a keystroke logger to your computer to find out everything you are doing.
They could intercept your network traffic and analyze it
They could get a court injunction and demand the information from your ISP
StuartR

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

Well an ordinary individual cannot do this right? I mean they have to follow a long procedure if they want the history? Other than that there wont be an easy way to get the history; right?
Best Regards,
Adam

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I could do two of those with very little effort.
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

And here's another one. You could configure your router to use OpenDNS and use their logging to see what web sites have been accessed.
StuartR

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

The thing that I want to know is very simple. Suppose I have two login accounts; myname@hotmail.com & mynameis@hotmail.com.

I don't want other users to know that I do access with mynameis@hotmail.com through a shared computer. I only want them to know that I access myname@hotmail.com through the same computer.

Having this situation I could use private browsing feature in Mozilla so that they would not see the mynameis@hotmail.com but they could see myname@hotmail.com in the login history; right?

Whenever I want to access the mynameis@hotmail.com account I could use private browsing feature and when I want to use myname@hotmail.com I could use the normal browsing feature.

And yes with this; the users might now I have accessed hot mail but they would never see I used another account to access hot mail as it would not be saved in the browser history.

So what's your comment on this?
Best Regards,
Adam

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

adam wrote:...So what's your comment on this?
However many times you ask the answer will still be the same.

Private browsing provides a simple level of protection that will prevent a non-technical user from seeing your browsing history.

There are always going to be ways that other people can investigate your browsing history, however much you try to hide it. The questions to ask yourself are how technically sophisticated are the people who are looking, and how much do they want this information.
StuartR

adam
SilverLounger

Post by adam »

StuartR wrote:
adam wrote:...So what's your comment on this?
Private browsing provides a simple level of protection that will prevent a non-technical user from seeing your browsing history.
This is the answer I was expecting from you. And finally I got it. Thanks for the help.
Best Regards,
Adam