Positioning of Firefox toolbars

Cah
3StarLounger

Positioning of Firefox toolbars

Post by Cah »

The default layout for Firefox 4 has tabs on top. I'm using the Windows Classic theme for my computer so the tabs look too high. I found out how to lower their position using userChrome:

Code: Select all

/* Tabs - Positioning*/
.tabbrowser-tabs {
padding-top: 18px !important;
}
Unfortunately this creates a gap on the left because of the Firefox button. I'm trying to find a way to move the tabs left so that they go under the button but so far have been unsuccessful. For example:

padding-left: -100px !important;
doesn't move the the tabs left although a positive value for padding-left will move them to the right. Does anyone know how to get the tabs immediately under the Firefox button?

An alternative to moving the tabs with CSS could be to reposition the entire bookmarks bar so that it comes first. Then I could uncheck
Options > Tabs on Top. My objective is to separate the Tabs bar from Bookmarks bar by putting the Navigation bar between them. I prefer a solution that keeps the tabs on top but don't mind having them on the bottom. Can anyone think of a solution? Thanks.

Cah
3StarLounger

Re: Positioning of Firefox toolbars

Post by Cah »

I found out how to move the bookmarks bar to the top. I used the following code in userChrome:

/* move bookmark toolbar up */
#PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1 !important;
}
Actually the number doesn't seem to matter. Even when I used -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important it still went on top. Anyway, by unchecking Options > Tabs on Top I get this order:

Bookmarks Bar
Navigation Bar
Tabs Bar

My ideal would be to switch the position of bookmarks and tabs but at least this way I don't get a gap to the left of the tabs.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I'm not quite clear if you're wanting the same as I do, but I just right-click on the area to the right of the tabs, and remove the tick from the line "Tabs on top"...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Hi John, I want to separate the tab bar from the bookmarks bar by putting the navigation bar in the middle. Using the code I mentioned and unchecking tabs on top achieves that, but leaves the tabs under the navigation bar. Ideally I would like to have the tabs on top, the navigation bar in the middle and the bookmarks bar on the bottom. The problem with leaving tabs on top checked is that while it positions the tabs on top it leaves a gap on the left below the orange Firefox button - I've used CSS in the userChrome file to move the position of the tabs below the level of the orange Firefox button (I did that because with the theme I use and Windows Classic it looks horrible with the tabs flush top). I'm looking for a way to move the tabs to the left as well as down so that they start under the orange Firefox button. So far I haven't found a way. Hope that explains what I'm trying to do! Thanks,

Chris