Where are FF3.6.13 Bookmarks stored?

Teunis
3StarLounger

Where are FF3.6.13 Bookmarks stored?

Post by Teunis »

I am trying to move my FF 3.6.13 bookmarks from my Win 7 32 laptop to a nee Win 7 64 laptop. When I search the old laptop for bookmarks.html I find 2 files, one in \users\\\Roaming\ etc and one in \Program Files\. However both do not contain the actual bookmarks. Where could they be located?

Regards, Teunis

HansV
Administrator

Re: Where are FF3.6.13 Bookmarks stored?

Post by HansV »

In the Bookmarks | Organize Bookmarks dialog, you can export and import bookmarks.

The actual bookmarks file is places.sqlite in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>. You have to show hidden files and folders in order to see this folder.
Best wishes,
Hans

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

Thanks Hans.

So it's actually places.sqlite. I found it, and indeed it has the updated time-stamp. I used your recommended import/restore action and it worked perfectly.

Regards, Teunis

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I forgot to export once when moving, not a major problem since I had other backups elsewhere and also the whole profile. But that time I used an old json-file (Fx bookmark backup file), i.e. one of the backups in the bookmarkbackups folder in the Fx profile, created automatically or manually. Nothing wrong with the export/import bookmarks.html; I've been using that since the early days of Mosaic & Netscape, but I'm not sure it will save tags, if one is using them. So, in my case, that time, I selected: Restore > Choose File... It was not a problem that it would overwrite the current bookmarks, since those were the default after installation, but in other cases one might want to use import.

The places.sqlite database also includes previously visited websites.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.