Add-on to exclude domains from right-click?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Add-on to exclude domains from right-click?

Post by DaveA »

Amelia43 wrote:Thank you Hans. There are a host of irritants when we use the internet, but we must be fair and decent about reputable and helpful individuals and organisations when we comment on what bugs us most.
You are so correct, but if one wants to see how some of these "Money Grabbers" work, do a bit of "Family Research" searching. Many sites will get one to sign up for "paid" information and all one ends up with are links to the REAL free sites.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:You might have to wait until next Sunday before you can use the term :rofl:
Speaking of waiting until next Sunday, when can we expect the first draft of the Complete User Guide for this marvelous ultra-snippet of code of yours? :evilgrin:

Don't worry about the proof-reading; we have a small army of proff-readers-in-residence here ....
He who plants a seed, plants life.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I need some help testing this version please, as there is a lot going on now.

If you tick to for a specific site then the excluded site list is ignored.

You should be able to modify a site by entering it's domain name and a new title. But you shouldn't be able to add the same domain twice.
You cannot use the same title twice - it must differ in some way.
You can delete by entering the full domain or the beginning part of the title (case-insensitive).

I have tried it a little bit in IE as well, but mainly in FF.
go_search8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi.
Odd characters in the title will cause a problem, particular =, and maybe dollar ($). Normal punctation seems to work in FF - not sure with IE at the mo.
This is because I'm using the title as the name of the cookie. Please be aware of this for the moment. I'll have a think about it.

I originally thought about using the domain as the cookie name, but thought I would have to remove the periods (.), hyphens etc. But then I would need to keep re-instating these characters.
I should have stuck with this idea perhaps and created two functions to substitute different characters (and replace them again). Besides, it would be better to be able to type whatever you want as a title.

I really need a list of characters that can be used in url's and a list of characters that can/can't be used as cookie names. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I should have considered copyright :groan: - didn't realise this project would expand..

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See URL Encoding and The Syntax of Cookies.

Your new version works well for me, but a friendly remark/warning from me: it may be tempting to add ever more bells and whistles, creating a kind of Swiss Army knife of a search page. But the charm of your early versions - to me - was its simplicity...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks for the links - I hope I've sorted it though.

You're reading my mind. I decided a little while ago that I shouldn't continue to play with it.

I hope that the charm hasn't disappeared completely, but I suppose you could always revert to an earlier version. Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

The attached last version I believe fixes the issue with odd characters in the Title. Again I would appreciate anyone's assistance with testing.

Although this should allow some odd characters & $ _ =, etc., in the title (and you might test with these please) I don't think they should be there anyway :scratch:

It's also up to you to enter valid domains!

I'll leave you all in peace now for a while. If, after a few days, there are no issues to be resolved I'll create a short summary for it. Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:I hope that the charm hasn't disappeared completely, but I suppose you could always revert to an earlier version. Andy.
I agree with Hans, but here's the good news. The final package (including the User Guide) will include the first version - stripped-down-simplicity - and the final version, so one can go as simple or as complex as one wants.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi.

I had a look at Google Chrome but it doesn't allow local cookies by default. If you wish to use GC then you can add '--enable-file-cookies' to the end of the program shortcut (without the apostrophes and two hyphens at the beginning (why 2)?). This would be your decision however.. I tested it briefly and it worked okay after adding this argument.

In case I haven't mentioned already, you should save the page in it's own sub-folder rather that directly in, say, My Documents.

P.S. I forgot about (or ignored) FireBug when developing the script! A great debugging tool in Firefox. I just used the occasional alert message to check a few things. This is not a recommended approach!

Hint: If you type javascript:window.alert(document.cookie.replace(/;/g,'\n')); directly into the address bar and press enter it will pop up a list of cookies within the current site. You can also add this as the location for a Bookmark(let). This could be generally useful if you're wary of certain sites.
go_search9.png

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

agibsonsw wrote:And here's an exciting background image to use..
Please tell me how to incorporate your background image into my zip 8 version.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
agibsonsw wrote:I hope that the charm hasn't disappeared completely, but I suppose you could always revert to an earlier version. Andy.
I agree with Hans, but here's the good news. The final package (including the User Guide) will include the first version - stripped-down-simplicity - and the final version, so one can go as simple or as complex as one wants.
So far I have 8 versions on my toolbar, so it's a matter of deciding how complex or simplistic my search needs are at the time. You've done exceeding abundantly above anything I could have imagined being accomplished when this thread started. It makes Google comparable to Win 95 :laugh: :clapping: :fanfare: :cheers: I'd love to use up all the appropriate smileys, but suffice it to say that Chris has spoken for myself with his myriad of accolades :thankyou:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

While I've not yet mastered its use, add me to the chorus of "Amen! Brother! Amen!"

What you accomplished and so quickly is utterly amazing to this old mainframe development puke!

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. To incorporate the image:
Where you've save the search page create a subfolder called images and save the image in there.
Then amend the HTML for the 'body' tag to:

Code: Select all

<body background="images/blutextb.gif" style="font-family:Trebuchet MS, Georgia, Lucida;" onload="GetAllDomains();">
(assuming the image is still called 'bluetextb.gif')

This uses HTML rather than CSS (which is the preferred method) - but this way is quicker!

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm quite pleased myself. I studied JavaScript almost two years ago but never used it. I found bits of code from the internet to use, but had to modify (and even correct!) them a bit. It's only when I'd finished that I realised I hadn't used any debugging tools to help me, and DreamWeaver doesn't offer any JavaScript code completion/intelli-sense either (not that I've found anyway :scratch:?).

Edited: Well Dreamweaver does offer some assistance if I use a blank JavaScript page, but I didn't use it.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:While I've not yet mastered its use,
Bob, Let me be the first to disabuse you of the notion that anyone has mastered it.
Even Andrew keeps struggling to "make it work right", night after night.
I think it now has 39 features.
I am contemplating sending someone around to London SW9 to locate this Sorcerer's Apprentice.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Chris. It's reassuring to know that one is not alone.

OKAY!

I have the zip file downloaded and unzipped (and renamed "Andy's Search"). I downloaded the graph paper background image and placed it in a subfolder named "Images". When I open the html file in my browser, I see Andy's search with the background grid (screenshot was before the gif was added).

I haven't sussed the frame bit though. I like the look of it because I'd like to be able to copy urls to blacklist and paste them into the panel provided.

Finally, I need to know how to get it to the FF bookmarks bar. Usually I r-click on the bar and copy in a url, but I don't know how to get Andy's Search there.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

BobH wrote:
OKAY!

I have the zip file downloaded and unzipped (and renamed "Andy's Search"). I downloaded the graph paper background image and placed it in a subfolder named "Images". When I open the html file in my browser, I see Andy's search with the background grid (screenshot was before the gif was added).

Finally, I need to know how to get it to the FF bookmarks bar. Usually I r-click on the bar and copy in a url, but I don't know how to get Andy's Search there.
If it is saved in html I just go to FF/File/Open the file and it auto opens into the search screen and you drag it to your bookmark toolbar. Which zip file did you use to add the graph paper background image to?

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

OKAY! I have fooled with this until I achieved SUCCESS!!!
GoSearch#8 with blue grid.png
Now to fool with the particulars of searching....it was imperative to incorporate
the blu grid background. I kept running up against the code auto running--until I found how to extract it correctly into the proper folder/sub folder for image sooo it's all kosher now :thankyou:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry HJ!

I was just about to respond to your post about the gif file. The zip file is the one that Andy posted. I've renamed it and would have to go back to find the download, but it looks as if you have it done. If not, and you still need the filename, just post back. I put the image in a subfolder named "Images" subordinate to the folder that the unzipped html file is in.

I'm still working on getting the bookmark thing to work.

OK. I added the bookmark, now I just need to figure out the frame bit and I'm home.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I just wondered which zip file you used...i.e. #6, #7, #8, #9 but I chose to use 8 for now. I also have the original simplistic one on my toolbar as well. The others I have set aside for now, but alas they are all organized in folders. I learned alot about doing things in Win 7 that I hadn't done.

Glad you got the bookmark added. It's amazing how intuitive this all gets the more I fool with it. It took me awhile to figure out how to extract the actual code because I was clicking the download link which auto opened the search frame in FF. So I had to go back to my d/l folder and right click and create a new folder/extract/create a sub folder for the images and then put the correct files in each folder. It's really alot of fun now that the frustration from not being able to get that grid up has been achieved. I am using #8 Code for now until I read up. I'm awaiting the User's Guide to step by step what we can achieve instead of having to keep reading back over all these posts. I've read this so many times, that it is becoming not so foreign. Thanks for posting!