Any reports of problems with PDFs in Fx 3.6.12?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Any reports of problems with PDFs in Fx 3.6.12?

Post by John Gray »

I find occasionally I can't select the URL in the address bar (e.g. for Cut and Paste) once I have loaded a PDF into a tab. No problem with any other type of file, e.g. html.

Has this been reported by others?
John Gray

If you are having problems with solitude, you are not alone.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Any reports of problems with PDFs in Fx 3.6.12?

Post by HansV »

I've tested with many links to PDF files in Firefox 3.6.12, but I couldn't reproduce the problem. I can't find any mention of it in Google either...
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It's really odd, because it won't even highlight the PDF address in the address bar, unless I get in very quickly before the PDF has actually finished loading. It loads in a new tab because I have clicked on a link in a web page...

Thanks for looking further!
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Which PDF reader are you using? I have Foxit Reader 4.2.0.0928 with the Mozilla plugin.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't dupe the problem either.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It seems to be calling Foxit Reader 4.0.0.0619, so I suppose I'd better update it!
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can update from within Foxit Reader (Help | Check For Updates Now). If you download and use the complete installer instead, watch out for unwanted extras!
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I tried the update from within Foxit Reader from within Firefox, but it failed because Foxit Reader was already in use (surprise!). Subsequent attempts didn't show the update.

I then downloaded Foxit Reader 4.2 'from scratch' and installed it - and, yes, Hans, you're extremely right - what a load of old junk it wants you to add! Almost enough to put people off using Foxit Reader entirely.

And the good news is that my problem has gone away - so nothing to do with Firefox at all.

Thanks to you and Big Al for testing assistance.
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the future, you can download the zip file instead of the installer, and simply extract Foxit Reader.exe into the program folder (probably C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader).
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I did that the first time, but it seemed a bit bare, so I downloaded the full .exe

I object to all these unnecessary directory levels just to allow the manufacturer to promote themselves, so I install to (in this instance) C:\Program Files\Foxit Reader !
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I was a bit suspicious at first too, but I found out that the only thing the internal updater does is to replace the Foxit Reader.exe with the new version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John Gray wrote:... I object to all these unnecessary directory levels just to allow the manufacturer to promote themselves ...
Hmmm, not sure what you mean by that John, but mine is installed in C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader which is not unusual from a software vendor from whom you may use more than one product. Makes sense to me to have other Foxit products (if there are any) be installed in C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\ ...

(And I do have a number of software products wherein multiple products come from one vendor, such as Intuit (Turbo Tax, Quicken, etc.)

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It is quite rare that I have more than one piece of software from a manufacturer. And where I do, I like them in separate directories under Program Files: CCleaner, Defraggler and Recuva being good examples.
John Gray

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

John, to return to your original issue, I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Using FoxIt Reader 4.1.1.0805, if I open any PDF in a tab in FF 3.6.12, ALL dialog boxes in any area of FF freeze, including URL, Google Search, the reply window here in the Lounge, and as they say on TV, many, many, more. It seems like the cursor focus is stolen, because I can select the dialog areas with the mouse, but I can't get a cursor in any of the dialogs.

Edit: I think I've had this for a while and did not see your thread. And it's not a problem if PDFs are opened separately in the FoxIt Reader application.

Edit 2: the problem continues unabated when FF is loaded in Safe mode with all add-ons disabled
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Foxit Reader 4.3.0.1110 and version 2.0.0.1102 of the Foxit Reader Plugin for Mozilla, and PDFs display fine in the browser, without side effects on other tabs (you see only one tab in the screenshot but I did test Eileen's Lounge, Google and some other sites while the PDF was open).
x400.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

I'm now on 4.3.0.1110 of Foxit Reader, and have attempted to update the Mozilla Plugin though Foxit's Update menu, but my Foxit Plugin still shows 1.0.1.1117 not 2.0.0.1102... :hmmn:
Goshute

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you restarted Firefox?
Best wishes,
Hans

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

I have now restarted the machine, and I'm still at Foxit Plugin 1.0.1.1117. Probably operator error, but I don't know what error it is. :shrug:
Goshute

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can download the Firefox plugin directly from Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows - look for Firefox Plugins. Store the fzip file, then start Foxit Reader, select Help | Install Updates... and point to the fzip file.
Best wishes,
Hans

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

I just resolved the Plugin update, more or less accidentally, by opening Foxit Reader and checking/ticking the Tools | Preferences | Internet | Display PDF in Browser checkbox, which was not checked. Then I restarted FF, and the good news is that the Plugin version shows 2.0.0.1102, BUT the bad news is that I still have the issue with no insert cursor in any FF dialog. I downloaded the Plugin as your directed, let me restart the PC, and if it doesn't work, I'll over-install the .fzip file, see what happens and report back. (Mumble, grumble...)
Goshute