Filtering out Mozilla Firefox "Click-bait" results

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Filtering out Mozilla Firefox "Click-bait" results

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ClickBait_03.png
I am pretty sure that Stuart could respond "Just program yourself to not go to YouTube.com", and I would be OK with that, but I do use YouTube from time to time for ideas on non-computer projects"

In the screen-grab above, supposing that I was interested in gardening, I am alerted to the key phrase "no watering". I am not aware of ANY form of life on Earth that does not need water for growth. (Well, OK, stromolites and other deep-sea sulfur-vent forms, but let's stick to above-water direct sunlight stuff).
Now I want to tell Firefox browser to never return anything at all from "VHD Gardening", what/whoever that is.
Basically "Don't waste my time showing anything from this source". (In the first three seconds of the video we see water being used ...)

In YouTube terms this would be the channel "https://www.youtube.com/@VHDGardening"
But in general Browser terms, I want never again to see anything that mentions "VHDGardening", even in a class-action lawsuit against the owner.

I can do this as a Google Alert by suffixing a search command with "-saltwire" so that I never see their "register here to read this article" message.

But I would be happy with an all-encompassing technique, possibly via a text file of banned text, that would allow me to add the text "VHDGardening" to a black-list.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that other users might be interested in this.
Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Filtering out Mozilla Firefox "Click-bait" results

Post by John Gray »

Not sure whether you are complaining about results from Firefox or from YouTube.
Restriction of results to just what you want would differ...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Chris, Can you explain what this is the result of? Is it a Google search? Or a YouTube search? Or something completely different?

You could try a Firefox add-in like Adblock Plus and see if that achieves what you want.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Or try the Element Zapper or Element Picker modes of uBlock Origin to suppress the bits of a page you don't want to see. Having said that, it might not work on YouTube where elements usually have names comprising strings of random characters that change at random, meaning just because you've hidden an element doesn't mean it won't reappear.

Ken
EDITED TO ADD: See here for more on what I'm talking about:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... #the-tools

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 15:08
Not sure whether you are complaining about results from Firefox or from YouTube.
Restriction of results to just what you want would differ...
Thank you John. I agree.
I think of the browser Firefox as my immediate interface with web sites, and YouTube as a subsidiary of that..
In that sense if I ask Firefox to "never show me any pages that contains "VHDGardening" then I should not see any web pages that spring from "VHDGardening", but as well Firefox would suppress a page of YouTube results, in which page is a single link to "VHDGardening" but as well links to many other YouTube videos (including mine!)

That complicates matters.

I should say:-
(1) To YouTube "in what you are about to show me, Do not return any channel results from "VHDGardening"
and then
(2) to the DuckDuckGo browser or search engine "In what you are about to show me, Do not return any material from "VHDGardening"
and finally
(3) to the browser (my immediate interface) "In what you are about to show me, Do not return any material from "VHDGardening"

:gloom: That certainly complicates matters.
Thanks again, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 15:35
Chris, Can you explain what this is the result of? Is it a Google search? Or a YouTube search? Or something completely different?
You could try a Firefox add-in like Adblock Plus and see if that achieves what you want.
Thank you Stuart; please see also my heightened awareness in response to John's post.

I will take a look at Adblock-plus. I currently have "ublock origin" installed as an add-in.

Thanks again, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 15:42
Or try the Element Zapper or Element Picker modes of uBlock Origin to suppress the bits of a page you don't want to see. ...
Thank you Ken. A quick look suggests that the https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Element-picker] Element-picker might do the trick.
Untitled.png
I think this is the data you refer to - there is no mention (that I can see) of "VHDGardening" in that data, although I I were to access that element and inspect it myself I would undoubtedly see something like "VHDGardening"; but at that stage I would be writing my own add-in to Firefox, yes?

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 16:26
...Adblock-plus. I currently have "ublock origin" installed...
Perhaps Adblock Plus is OK again now but In my experience...

Once upon a time Adblock Plus was the ad blocker to have but when Mozilla made a big change to the way FF add-ons worked (back in 2017 I think) it didn't adapt as quickly and as well as it might have. Prior to the change it was unobtrusive and effective, after the change it made Firefox grind. It was then someone here in The Lounge recommended uBlock Origin and I've used nothing but that ever since.

Ken